Notices

I Lied!

Old 12-01-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Lied!

I haven't been on the forums in a long time.I've fought with my alcoholism for 3 1/2 years since admitting I am an alcoholic. I've claimed long term sobriety here when I really had no more than a 75 day stretch. I was drunk all Thanksgiving weekend and went to work today sick. I can't live like this anymore. I have to do more than just not drink. My life has to change in many other ways. The first change has to be complete honesty. I am sorry for the lies...forgive me. I also plan to go back to AA and also to church. I just can't take being sick and tired anymore.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm just glad you're back Stang.
Here's to a new start

D
Old 12-01-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good job coming here and owning up, Stang!

Is today day one of sobriety?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The lies don't really matter stang, we've all done it in one way or another. The main thing to focus on is that you want to stop, and leave the past where it is, in the past.

I am new here, but I feel this is the last place you would need to lie about drinking, unless you don't want help. I don't mean that to come off as an ass, but as a way of pointing out how strong the addiction can be.

I have lied to everyone in my life about my drinking and I regret everyone of them. Not because I lied, but because they could have helped me if only I would have asked.

Hang tough and figure out what you need to quit. You are right, it isn't just about not drinking. You have to find things to replace the drinking. Whether it is just the time spent, hiding from emotions, or just because you don't give a flip. The issues that cause us to drink must be addressed, or we will never succeed at this and have a life we are proud of.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The most important person you need forgiveness from is yourself. SR and the support community in general will always be here to help. Glad to hear you have some concrete plans and actions in the works..that's what it takes. Welcome back and hope you aren't a stranger anymore.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
orangutan

glad you came clean and welcome back .
Old 12-01-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Being truthful and honest with yourself is a huge step. If you continue to be truthful and honest - and also stay sober - you will begin to trust yourself. To value your own well being. And those qualities come in real handy as you continue this journey and grow.

I'm glad you've started being honest with yourself, and if by sharing that with us helped you, I'm glad you decided to share. Good luck.

PS - when's that first meeting, stang? Seems you know you need some support, now do yourself a favor and start making plans and seeing it through.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Honesty is very important.. for you. Welcome back to SR and all I can say is its a new day, a clean slate and dont give up !
Old 12-01-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Well what matters is that today you are truthful with us but more importantly with yourself. Welcome back
I am glad that you are planning to attend AA and I hope you like it as much as I do. Go there being willing and follow the suggestions. Try different meetings until you find one you really like then make it your home group.
In the interim, I hope you will join us at the 24 hours club where we commit not to drink or drug for the next 24 hours. It is a fun supportive way to hold ourselves accountable and before you know it, those sober days do add up. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4322419
Old 12-01-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you are back trying again.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes December 1, 2013 is my new sobriety date. I work 12 hour shifts 14 days a month so Thursday will be my first meeting. That's also a tempting time as I'll be off for a week. Hard to do 90 in 90....not impossible but difficult with my work schedule. Thank you all I love this site!
Old 12-01-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about 90 in 90 just yet. You are on day 1, bro. Slow and steady, hour by hour. Keep it simple. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I hope you are feeling better now, withdrawal-wise xx
Old 12-01-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

To thine own self be true, and it must follow as the night the day; Thou canst not be false to any man.

William Shakespeare
Old 12-01-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back, stang! You did such a good thing coming back here. Congrats on day 1!

What, you lied about your drinking while drinking? Appalling! I do not mean to diminish your feelings. It's just a classic symptom of our addiction. It took a lot for you to admit it, and you did a great thing coming clean. But the lies are no surprise when we drink so please don't beat yourself up.

I agree with the bigsombrero, don't kill yourself going to meetings but its great that you want to go. Maybe focus on meeting people and getting a support network when you do go? Maybe join the December class?

Rooting for you stang!