Notices

The benefits of trying (even if you fail).

Old 12-01-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After over nearly two years of trying to quit and failing, I have seen results. Every time I've failed (since about a year or so ago) I've tried to get straight back on the wagon. It's been a war which I continue to lose, but just in the trying I've seen improvements. The amount of money I spend has dropped considerably and I now how something of a credit score again, after not being eligible for some years. My smoking habit has nearly ended, my health is improved (not that anyone in proper condition would call it great) and my mental health has been given a boost. My relationships have also been easier and the amount of confrontations I've been in has lowered.

I just thought I'd post this as a reminder that even though you think you can't win, wars might not be won overnight, but battles can be. And battles win wars. Eventually.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hear hear. Never give up. xx
Old 12-01-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

James said... "It's been a war which I continue to lose"
It doesn't seem that way to me. It appears you are slowly winning! You are improving in many ways. It's not that you fall off the wagon but you get right back on again. I am reading 'Sober for Good' and I was so surprised to see that almost no one succeeded on their first few trys. Many took years.
The best thing I've found about when I fail, is that I realize how my mental situation suffers terribly when I drink. I realize that I feel much better when I don't drink than when I do. Hang in there James, and keep winning.
Goose
Old 12-01-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like to think, as Goose said, that each failure strengthens my efforts. I have noticed that each time I relapse that my bottom gets a little bit lower and scares me a little more. I learn something every time. It strengthens my resolve to make positive changes and to put more effort into my program. For example, I have avoided AA like the plague before, but now I realize that I need to step it up and work an active program rather than rely on white knuckle resolve to keep me going.

Think of it as losing a battle but costing the enemy serious casualties rather than losing a war If you keep battling, you will win in the end.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Steady improvement, no matter how slow, is not failure. Keep it up.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am having a similar experience.

I find also, that now that I have confri=onted th eproblem openly, at least here and with a few people in real life, that it changes what the drink does for me. It is not the fun or pleasure I hoped. So, it is losing ground quickly now.

I am definitely healthier, 50 pounds lighter, and in control of my diabetes without meds.

But I also have not yet won the war. Hopefully this time I do. I feel like it is a process for me, and I am winning in stages. I hope. Hopefully I am on my very last battle.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Attached is my strategy to ultimately prevail. Hope it helps someone else, too.
Attached Images
File Type: png
Alcohol-Independence.png (35.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 12-01-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you, thank you.