Notices

Recovery Advice, Alcoholism

Old 11-30-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Recovery Advice, Alcoholism

I have sort of tried a few times to edge out my vodka over the years; it especially started to cause my relationships problems 4 yrs ago, looking back on it now.
I get soooo sick to quit cold turkey, tremors, nightsweats, puking, you name it. I was drinking pretty much a 26/day, making a realistic excuse that I never got to have fun when I was young.

What is happening to my body is not fun.

I lost my social life in the process, my family and my job, I was so stubborn. Now I look at how stupid I was.

Drinking took the place of regular meals for so long that I have difficulty replenishing my body with the right foods. I was always 15 lbs underweight but now I am at least 25-30 under and I want to gain it back in the right way.

There are calcium build ups in the joints of my feet from the dehydration and malnourishment so it really hurts on impact when I walk ANYWHERE, my pee is dark orange half the time lending the sign that liver disease and kidney failure are imminent, my stomach is distended, intenstines gaseous, so nauseous from withdrawals that I have no appetite (tring to build it back) asthma exacerbated.

I read celery seed extract can help and I started taking vitamin C. Any one know what great sources of phosphates, magnesium and potassium might be or what else I can do to balance my system back aside from lots of water and some meal replacement shakes...
So far that is my goal. And this time for good. Thanks to some of the medical research I just read; I am pretty scared. HELP

My husband has been a rock and really tried to be supportive but you can't make an addict stop until they make that choice themselves. I don't know how he put up with it all thus far but I want to make him glad he did for the rest of his life.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

to SR Hobbitt and to the beginning of a new life for you and your husband
Old 11-30-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hobbitt

I know it's scary but when things get to this point, it really is in your best interests to see a Dr.

It's far far better to talk to a medical professional face to face rather than 'Dr Google'

You will probably find that with a little medical attention things aren't as bad as you fear

D
Old 12-01-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Hobbitt, every person is different so if you are concerned about your health it's a good idea to see a doctor. They will be able to advise you or even put your mind at rest. There is lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Hi Hobbit,

I drank like you. Straight vodka. 25-30 units a night. At the end, I stopped eating and became extremely malnourished. My only calories were from liquor.

I don't want to scare you, but at this stage, you really need medical attention, sooner rather than later. Your body will give out. Mine did and I ended up in a coma on life support. When I woke up, I had 7 IVs, pumping in all kinds of vitamins and minerals that I had deprived myself from because of drinking.

I now have what's called avascular necrosis. All the alcohol killed the blood supply to the joints in my hips. I know that feeling of pain with every step. I just had to have a double hip replacement and I'm only 31.

Please see a doctor asap. In fact, I would go to the ER if I were you. This isn't the kind of thing you can fix on your own.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR! Sounds like you're ready for a change! I hope you feel better soon!
Old 12-01-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hobbit
Sounds like the time has come for you to let go eh? I was right where you are now when i quit vodka 8 months ago. 37 litres in 30 days relapse after 5 months sober. Deaths door.
This is not medical advice but what i did. B vitamins, re-hydration packs, milk thistle, water and juices, solid food gradually, multi vit and prayed my arse off....

Results were i got through and sobered up. I was a fool not to seek medical advice. Because i decided to 'go it alone' i suffered terribly and may have done lasting damage.

Please get medical help. Above all, believe all those that tell you it will kill you if you don't stop. But even more importantly, believe,trust and reach out to those that want to help.

And when they tell you that you are worth it, and that it gets better and better as a sober person believe them with you heart. They don't lie.

Gxx
Old 12-02-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support

I feel I am doing well. I do want to see a doctor but I want to be sober sober when i go, so embarrassing. Also, I don't want to be sober because of medications, I am sure I screwed up my liver enough; nice avoid further stress.
Since it was recommended to me not to quit cold I am down to 20% consumption over the last 5 days consistently. Actually slept last night for 4 hrs without sweating my butt out of wet sheets. Some solid food yesterday- yogourt, granola, banana, peaches, salmon sashimi, steak and potatoes.
Never thought I would do so much research on metabolizing vitamins and rehydration. WOW.
Interesting cross-reference I found referred to 'refeeding' in terms of anorexia and malnutrition had some great links for nutrition.
Keep you posted.
One step at a time.

Last edited by Hobbitt; 12-02-2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: wanted to include a reference
Old 12-02-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Please don't let your embarrassment get in the way of seeing a medical professional. Trust me, they have seen it all before. It would be nothing new to them.

Your health and your life are more important than a little embarrassment.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome