Notices

First Social event since sober day

Old 11-30-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Social event since sober day

Just got home from my wife;s work Christmas party.
I had 6 drinks. And I feel great. Drove home as well. 6 ice cold glasses of club soda with lime. So refreshing.
Having a beer or wine or whatever never entered my thought process. I had made up my mind before going that tonite would not be the end of my sober journey. No freakin' way was I going down that road tonite.
Not tooting my own horn, but I am proud of myself. So is my wife.
Have a great sober sunday friends. I know I will.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's fantastic !!
Have to admit I jumped when I read the beginning of your post about 'had 6 drinks and feel fantastic' - I assumed you meant alcohol and was about to ask why you were on here bragging about it
Old 11-30-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Great job, Rick.

I know I felt like I would never be able to have fun again at a social event after I stopped drinking. But I've found I usually have even more fun now then when I was drinking, especially because I can remember everything and can focus on connecting with others rather than connecting with alcohol.

Keep it up!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry Skye, didn't mean to get your blood boiling. Just having fun cause I am feeling good.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
a bit out there

Rick that's awesome, keep it up
Old 11-30-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rickh54 View Post
I had 6 drinks. And I feel great. Drove home as well. 6 ice cold glasses of club soda with lime. So refreshing.
Having a beer or wine or whatever never entered my thought process. I had made up my mind before going that tonite would not be the end of my sober journey. No freakin' way was I going down that road tonite.
That's awesome mate Very inspiring and motivating
Old 12-01-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done. You seemed determined not to drink and you didn't. I hope to take that same thought processes into my festive party period. One party at a time. Always the same attitude. I will NOT drink no matter what. This is a crucial period for me and I need to adopt the same mental state that you used. I will NOT drink no matter what!!
Old 12-01-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Rick,
Good for you not falling down at the party! I'm just starting (again) and the thing that I find most amazing is the vastly improved mental attitude I have when I don't drink. It's physical too, but mentally, as the days pass, I feel amazing. That's what I'm going to focus on to get me through the tough times.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Rickh54 View Post
I love soda and lime
Old 12-01-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's awesome Rick! It's interesting when you start going to social events and don't drink while everyone else is...it kind of strengthens your resolve not to drink when you see how some people act when drinking.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Congratulations on staying sober.

I found I was not strong enough in early sobriety to withstand drinking events so I just stayed away from them for a year. I never knew when alcohol would call and when will power would not be enough.

Even after 4 years sober I still have an escape plan, Drive separately, have a list of sober friends that I can call in case of emergency, and am very selective about the events I attend.

Alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful so I never underestimate it
Old 12-01-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words for encouragement. You are right OldSelf, It is kind of humorous to sit back sober and watch the antics of those that are pounding them back. This event was fairly calm but the younger people seem to think that this is the last night that alcohol will ever be available so they better fill up. Shots galore.
Just turning 5 AM here on Sunday morning. Had so much club soda last nite had to get up twice for a pee. So now I am up for the day. I am excited to have a long full day with a clear head to get lots accomplished. Just waiting for the coffee to brew.
Have a healthy dry Dec. 1 my friends
Old 12-01-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job!!