Notices

Day 6 and Coping with Disappointment

Old 11-30-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 and Coping with Disappointment

Finishing up day 6 and was somewhat better than day 5. Yesterday, was rough. Long holiday weekend, lots of time and football on TV which is when I always had a beer in hand. Saturday night tonight and watching my team with no beers, home with kids while my drinking friends and family at various locations taking in the game and catching a buzz. Was difficult but tried to focus on the game and not think about the drinking. Enjoyed being with my son and discussing the plays of the game with him. Then disaster strikes, we lose the game on a freak play at the end, undefeated season down the tubes, chance for 3-peat national championship gone and my depression in full force. Thankfully, no alcohol and I realize how much better I will feel by not drinking away my sorrows. Trying to stay awake a while longer but ready to just go to bed and start a new day tomorrow. Football aside, today was a bit better than yesterday. SO glad tomorrow is Sunday, can go to church and get one with preparing for the work week. Survived a long holiday weekend without a "cold Beer" and watched a major rivalry football game without is a monumental accomplishment for me as well. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on making it thru the weekend and the game. I know some sports fans and yep, they watch the game and drink right along with it. I think some of them would have to stop watching to ever quit drinking lol. Sorry that your team lost, but imagine how they feel about it...and I bet they aren't drinking over it either
Old 11-30-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mikie. You're right about that! The loss is bad enough, don't need the alcohol blues tomorrow like many will have that pulled for our team... Just taking it one day at a time but glad to see this one particular weekend begin to come to an end. I am sure they will get better in the future, but for early sobriety, it has not been fun. Positive thoughts moving forward!!!
Old 11-30-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry about your team jmeg - but hey there's always next season

D
Old 11-30-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You made it, even though your team disappointed you. Way to go!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Jmeg,

I'm from Nebraska. How do you think I feel?

Here's the way I look at it. They are just kids. If they can play their hearts out and lose one and still get out there the next game and give it their all again, I can survive not having a stupid drink.

They still are a great team. I'm taking a lesson from them. They don't give up.

Enjoy your Sunday.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done mate that's a great effort. I hope you are feeling the benefits for that effort. It may be tough at the moment but every sober day, every sober event, every sober function makes you stronger and better. In time you can do everything you used to do but you just do it without beer and you won't think twice about it. You are reprogramming your mind and body and that takes a little time and effort. Glad you are doing so well.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

jmeg,
Now that it's Sunday and you're checking the forum, I want to suggest you look back at yesterday. What do you remember about watching the game with your kids? How about interaction with your son, remember all of that? Pretty nice, huh? Now think if you were doing the normal routine of drinking. Would you remember any of it? I find that when I'm not drinking, I'm so much more of a participant in life, instead of someone in a fog who can't remember anything the next day. Congrats on getting through that difficult time. Stay the course.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the comments. I feel much better today that I made it through the weekend without a drink. Feel a little silly about the football game talk, but it is really a big deal for those in this part of the world, however I do understand the big picture which is my sobriety. Spending time with the kids and remembering every detail was definitely a little different than the past. Hope everyone enjoys your Sunday. Thank GOD it is here!!