Notices

Paralyzed, Low Energy, or just Lazy?

Old 11-30-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

Paralyzed, Low Energy, or just Lazy?

I apologize in advance that I keep starting threads. I just don't know what to do with myself...

I know the world is my oyster now. But I am so very low energy.. almost depressed. I don't want to do anything, I don't want to see anyone, I just want to lay here on the computer and wait for the work week to start.

I thought being alcohol/pill free would get me out of my "funk" (I was much the same way when I'm drinking/pilled out.. but on a much larger scale.) I want to live life. Have I forgotten how? Will this lethargy pass?

I'm stuck in the middle of mood swings central right now.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it is quite common to have depression upon giving up a dependancy on alcohol and pills. They actually cause depression and it takes some time to pull out of it and for our bodies and minds to heal.

I think many of us may have depression anyway, and used the alcohol and drugs to self-medicate.

Hang in there and see what more sober time brings. I feel much better when I make time to exercise, even if I have to force myself.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It passes. It sucks for now, and might for awhile, but it is what it is -- a feeling, a rut. It's not permanent, it is only a mental state, and it will change. The hard thing about sober time is you have to give it time for things to improve. Sometimes that means days, sometimes months, sometimes years.

The one thing you can do is not drink or use for one more day. You do that by chalking up a sober minute, followed by hours, until you go to sleep.

It's simple.

And then you wake up and reflect back on the incredibly powerful, strong, nearly impossible thing you did yesterday, which was not drink or use.

And it starts again.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Starting threads and talking passes time, time which is better spent than drinking!!

If your pretty early on in your sober journey, then these feelings are understandable as the body is adjusting, but they will pass in time!! . . . the main thing is to keep pushing through, one morning you'll wake up and have a newfound energy for doing something . . . mine the other day was to begin reading a book that had been on my shelf for 5 years untouched!!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's so important to remember that stopping drinking doesn't solve all the problems. I wish that it had, but it sure didn't for me. I had to move out of my comfort zone and it wasn't easy. But, you can do this.

Yes, we all need to not drink, but that's when the hard 'inside' work begins. I think if you believe that things will automatically change, they won't. I needed to take action in the first weeks of my recovery, and that made all the difference. For me, I started to do volunteer work that week and it literally changed my life.

Congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very common to feel that way.

I dunno about you but I drank for years - give things a little time to get back to normal Suekie

D
Old 11-30-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Suekie I take it by your join date that you are pretty new to sobriety? I slept like a log for the first two months, I'd go to work, come to SR, go to bed -- I really started to wonder what I'd done. After about four weeks I was more energetic during the day but still slept 9 or 10 hours a night. Eight months later 7 hours does me fine and I am a powerhouse of energy. So yes, it does get better Suekie.

BTW make sure that you are helping yourself by eating well and getting some fresh air and exercise.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with puple knight better to start a thread then drink. it will pass in time, you will learn how to live again. I still get into funks where I do not want to leave the home where I feel secure.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I expected the same thing...I was sure that after dousing my brain with alcohol and benzos for close to a decade I would be doing cartwheels within a few weeks. I envisioned myself posing for a Nike ad "Just Do It". Posing for an ad for adult food bibs seemed to be more likely as two months into it I just didn't have the energy to do anything except shovel Doritos into my gullet while posting here.

I kept beating myself up about it, sure that it was all in my head, and it was but not in the way I thought. Looking back now, and it hasn't been that long, there was nothing I could do to get out from under that weight. And that's ok. Early sobriety is hard work, and a lot of us get tripped up by having unrealistic expectations, hence the term, easy does it. For years I ran on adrenaline, when the adrenaline ran out I propped myself up with substances.

In hindsight, those first four months of learning to just be, while frustrating, were as valuable as any "activity" I could have engaged in. Slowing down, and listening to what my body is telling me has been really really useful to me when I feel the longing for a drink. When I run through the mental checklist;hungry, angry, lonely, tired...almost always at least one applies.

I hung on even when I got discouraged because I knew it was the quick fix that got me into this mess in the first place. I saw patches of energy (I didn't work out nearly as much as I should have and my eating was deplorable), but around week 14 I really started to feel amazing. And it is consistent, not like when I was drinking where I would have 4 hour random unpredictable bursts of energy that I would frantically try to capitalize upon because I knew I would be useless again for a while. And my sleep has improved so much.

We alcoholics are not known for our patience , and I know I was shocked to not feel amazing immediately. Give it time, it truly does get better!
Old 11-30-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know it's hard to get going when you feel that way but why don't you try a gym? Working out makes you feel better and gets you out of the house. It can really get me out of a funk for a while. good luck
Old 11-30-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Suekie, you know it's ok to just lay there on the computer tonight, right? It is also ok to post as many threads as you would like, they are free

I don't think either of us are in any position to be expecting much right now, being both so new to this new life. I was having issues all day with the exact same thing you described, and the thing that got me out of it was planning something to do tomorrow. I still don't feel like going anywhere or seeing anyone, but I am ok with that right now. We are not just giving up our favorite ice cream in this, we get to be a little moody about it.

Can you describe to me what you would be doing and feeling right now if you took some drinks and a pill? How long do you think it would last, and how would you feel in the morning about it?

I know this has some rough parts to it, but there is a reason we came here. There is a reason we decided to put our addictions behind us. Remember those reasons and do whatever you need to not to be back there, wishing you were here, because you would be.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was just so depleted when I finally quit that I expect it will take some time to heal, both physically and emotionally. I try to get some exercise, eat well and do some reading, but haven't found the energy to do much more yet - and I have more than 90 days. My sleep is beginning to get better although I have figured out my caffeine addiction isn't helping with that. I just don't know how to do anything in moderation.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sue, sorry you are swinging. I know the feeling. My mood took a drastic turn today. I had all day to keep me busy: taking care of the little one, cleaning, and trying to keep myself busy with Christmas decorations and crafts. Now the house is quiet, it's Saturday night and I'm all alone. All I can hear are my thoughts. I feel restlessness and I feel like I should be doing something. My suggestion to the both of us, if possible, is to take some alone time and pamper ourselves. Bath, facial, yoga, Meditation, music candles.. Believe me Iknow iit's hard to actually get up and do things. I'm having trouble right This second deciding what to do. Please check back and let me know how you're doing. You're not alone sister. I'll be here all night. That'swhat it will take for me to not give in to depression or drinking.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Low moods

Originally Posted by Suekie View Post
I apologize in advance that I keep starting threads. I just don't know what to do with myself...

I know the world is my oyster now. But I am so very low energy.. almost depressed. I don't want to do anything, I don't want to see anyone, I just want to lay here on the computer and wait for the work week to start.

I thought being alcohol/pill free would get me out of my "funk" (I was much the same way when I'm drinking/pilled out.. but on a much larger scale.) I want to live life. Have I forgotten how? Will this lethargy pass?

Hi su
I feel the same but it is cold and miserable I can't sleep and then oversleep
It is miserable but it's winter as well. I seem to spend my life stuck on the sofa. Don't beat yourself up just eat small meals and drink plenty of liquids.
Hot baths are good too
Old 11-30-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm having one of those days too and it's OK I just have laid around and read books, posted on SR, and watched a movie. I went to a meeting today - took all my mental fortitude to get there. Glad I went - saw a lady I met a couple of months ago and hadn't seen since. She told me she ended up going to rehab and was doing so much better. I was afraid she had went back to drinking. This lifted my spirits, but I'm still tired. It's just part of recovery and listening to our bodies. Thanks for sharing - at least I know I'm not alone in feeling this way.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suekie View Post

I have been feeling the same way....clean and sober for some time....recently quit cigarettes...my energy is at an all time low with almost no motivation....I went back on anti-depressants for a month now...
Old 11-30-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sukie, I'm sorry you're having a tough night/moment. But I guess just try to remember that it is just that-a moment, an evening. And I'm sure everyone here can relate to those moments. To be totally honest, I've been battling one tonight as well. But it is a moment, an hour, or series of hours in the context of my/our whole lives. I try not to worry about forever right now-get through this moment/night and I'll deal with tomorrow when it comes. I'm pulling for you Sukie.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Anyone who is new to recovery needs to Google PAWS! My symptoms lasted for almost 5 months. And that was just physical, next came depression and not wanting to leave my house.

We put all this toxic crap in our body for years and expect to be magically healed after a few days. I'm at 7 months and, while it has gotten much better, I still have days where my brain feels foggy and others when I sleep all day long. Your body is healing.

Just get through one day at a time and be patient. Being patient is very hard, especially when you feel like you want to crawl out of your own skin (that lasted for almost 2 months for me and was awful) but it will get better. Just look to the future when all of this is over with and you never have to go through this again. The memory of what I went through is my biggest reason to staying sober. I will never put myself through that he!! again.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Thank you for starting this thread Suekie. I have been trudging through the yucks for what feels like days. Granted I have been able to man up for the holiday, out of towners, etc. but I just feel like ass.

Maybe it's the stress of the first sober holiday. Or maybe my first try at holiday decorating while not under the influence in 25 years.

Whatever it is, I'm freakin wiped. Right there with you.

Now where my Doritos at ?
Old 09-12-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I empathize completely. I have 82 days. I struggle with the present, I displaced myself from NYC with the clothes on my back. Lost my fiancé, lost my bar business and I am now at my dads in the middle of nowhere at 39. A fall of epic magnitude. I've received job opportunities in LA, but I can't even process my life moment to moment right now. I lost everything worthwhile and everything I love. Now, I really feel it and know. I had everything a man could want, but I'm an alcoholic and I traded it all in. Riches to rags for picking up that drink. My dad wants me out now too, I don't blame him.