Notices

When normal people drink.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When normal people drink.

Hi guys,

Today is friday, the start of the weekend and more importantly the day when normal people start to drink,

I've spent almost the last 15 years trying to scrape through to friday so that I can drink like normal people,

Binge drinking exempt, how much do you think normal people drink of a weekend?

Bruno.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Normal drinkers don't think about when or how much they drink. If you do, it's a pretty good sign you aren't a normal drinker.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Of my three close workmates ,
one is 52 and cycling this evening .
one is 26 and driving for 3 hours to visit a friend up north , he didn't mention drinking , he mentioned having pizza and a chat playing x-box with his good mate .
The other is 25 and is going to the south coast to decorate a room for his parents , he mentioned having a beer maybe tonight or tomorrow but didn't seem too fussed about it , it depended what his parents were up to ..

I don't think *most* normal people plan to start drinking on a friday , only drinkers .

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-29-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agree with Mecanix. I think a lot of "normal" drinkers spend many weekends alcohol free.

My mom is a what I perceive to be a "normal" drinker, meaning she doesn't drink to get a buzz and she can take or leave alcohol. She would be fine without ever having a drink again. She drinks a glass of wine or a Mike's Hard Lemonade once every few months.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

According to the one govt. study; 49% of the drinking age people in the United States haven't had a drink in the last 30 days. Another 23% of drinking age people have drank on between 1 and 4 occasions in the last 30 days.

I agree with the others. Normal drinkers aren't really drinkers at all for the most part. If alcohol disappeared from the face of the earth tomorrow they wouldn't give it much thought. Those with problems or those working on having a problem are the ones that the brewers market to. I don't remember the number exactly but the 28% that binge drink on a regular basis consume something like 70% of the alcohol sold.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I can't think of any of my 'normal drinker' friends that are planning to drink tonight or this weekend. I guess a few might have a glass of wine with dinner or something, but planning to drink as an activity isn't something on their radar as far as I've ever known.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with flutter, planning to drink has alarm bells all over it, "normal" people go with the flow, if drinking happens, it happens, if not then that's fine!!
Old 11-29-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Normal is as normal does. I am normal and you are too.

Now we are drinkers and that does not make us abnormal. It makes us aware. And after just one drink I quickly become unaware.

Put your sobriety first... Meaning nothing or no one is more important.

Then the curiosity about what you are trying to determine will subside.

Trying to figure out what is acceptable... a.k.a. Normal.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I replace the word normal with nonalcoholic, and it makes a difference in how I view the question and followup posts. The answer doesn't matter. I AM an alcoholic, what others can do means nothing to me. I can't even be jealous of them, because I can't comprehend having just a couple of beers when ever the mood might strike.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My non alcoholic friends go weeks or months even without drinking.

Friday night is no different from any other night of the week for them. That still seems kind of strange to me...the whole of Friday was spent in planning my evening drinking and by 7 pm I was drunk. Sad but true.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Me too Jenni. I would always plan my friday drinks. Would plan sometimes to go home after work and then take the bus back down the hill to the pub. Then I was free to guzzle as many MGD's as I could before I needed a ride home from someone heading back up the hill. Wife, kids, neighbour etc. The evening didn't stop there. Just the beginning. By 8 I was wasted and ready for a snooze on the couch before bed. Great company for my wife of 32 years. She really enjoyed her Friday nites!!
Old 11-29-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
lsb

I don't know what normal is.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would have no idea...
Old 11-29-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's relative. Obsession about alcohol/what is normal/what is not - might be a sign you're alcoholic.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am not sure there is such a thing as a 'normal' amount.

If you are trying to see how you stack up, don't. Comparing yourself to others is never helpful. Even among the people here the differences in how much we all drank is staggering. There will always be someone who drinks more than you and someone who drinks less, and both will serve to justify your own intake. I think if I spent less time comparing myself to others and more time examining my own relationship with alcohol then I would have quit way sooner.

Hope you are well Bruno x
Old 11-29-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I dread to think. These youngsters seem to have such a high tolerance. Even I never used to neck those shots like they do. And that's saying something
Old 11-29-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This has baffled me for a long time. For me, I drank to obtain elation and fun and also to forget about bad stuff when necessary. I drank toward emotions...

I know someone who is a binge alcoholic who has convinced themselves they are not. They have a weekly date with friends that includes much drinking and if it gets cancelled he gets very upset. He plans his social activities around drinking, uses it as a crutch for anxiety, and spends vacations in places where the only thing to do really is to party.

He swears he can stop anytime. But, the other day, he said "why would someone have 1 beer? What's the point?" That, to me, was the last sign I needed to determine this man is at the very least a heavy alcohol a user and at most a full blown binge alcoholic.

Normal drinkers do not behave this way. Normal drinkers enjoy 1 or 2 drinks and don't think about it again. They do not gravitate toward or only hang out with other drinkers. They simply go about their business and drinking is always an option but not an important one.

Drinking for me was the best option in my mind for a long time. Now, I just marvel at how normies have no interest in or thoughts of drinking until the choice is literally on the table.

Anyway, moderation didn't work for me and clearly doesn't for many. Alcoholics can't drink without unpredictable consequence. Maybe that right there is the fundamental difference
Old 11-29-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Indulge me this observation...if there's a constant in your threads Bruno, it's that you're always trying to work out where you fit into things.

how would it be if you turned the outward focus inward on yourself?

I could always find blokes who drank more than I did - but that's not the point.

My drinking was killing me, soul first - and I needed to accept that.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Normal drinkers don't think about when or how much they drink. If you do, it's a pretty good sign you aren't a normal drinker.
This sums it up.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have no idea how normal people drink, but they aren't half as good at drinking as I was!