Am I Wrong?

Old 11-29-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I Wrong?

My daughter has been an off and on substance abuser (not sure how many different ones, the last time she was caught was for prescription drugs, but it was illegal drugs before that). But, she claims to be clean since her last incarceration 4 years ago. Last night she left a purse here at Thanksgiving and called, frantically, and told me not to look in there and she would be over right away. I probably should have listened, but I looked in it anyway.

I found she had a satchel in there with a mirror, a cut up straw (which I know are drug paraphernalia) and a little ziplock full of crystals. I don't know any drugs you snort in crystal form, and I don't know about illegal drugs to ID them (they were tiny, a little smaller than a pinkie nail). I do know she's never come over as quickly as she did to get that bag.

Am I wrong to be suspicious? Should I confront her?
Old 11-29-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Her life is in danger. Confront her. She is using drugs that can kill her. Confront her. How you handle yourself during that confrontation and what you say and how you deal with her response to your confrontation are where your recovery comes into play. Where are you at in your own recovery journey? are to going to Al-Anon or Naranon meetings? I would highly suggest that if you are not.

Keep coming back here. There is a lot of experience, strength, and hope (ESH) here for you which benefits not only you but ultimately your daughter and your family.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. I know that pit in your stomach feeling when you think..oh no not again! I don't think you're wrong AT ALL...just my opinion. I would've done the same thing. How old is your daughter? Does she live with you? When my AD was home I kind of felt like she lost the priveledge of privacy in my house. I had/still have a right and responsibility to know what goes on in my home. Are you going to confront her? It sounds like heroin to me. My AD's DOC also.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

She doesn't live with me. She did for a while when she got out of jail, but I was sick of her coming in late, etc. so she moved in with her boyfriend a few years ago (he's a former addict too, yeah. Great news). She's also almost 50 years old, but you never stop worrying about them. She's been off and on since she was in her 20s, but I thought maybe the last time (she spent a year in jail) had scared her enough to come clean for good. I fear it's really too late for her if she's really back to using again.

I ended up questioning her about it today and she claims those are jewelry making supplies and those were jewelry crystals. She also mentioned she had a piece of glass tubing in there and "You probably think that's a crack pipe. I use it for setting jewelry." Well, I didn't even see that, but, yeah. I know what jewelry crystals look like. These were not uniform in size, etc.

I'm sure you all know how it feels. Part of me is still thinking, "Maybe she's right and I'm just overreacting because I expect her to be on drugs again." If I had found little crystals in my other daughter's purse, I wouldn't worry, but then again, she wouldn't have them next to drug paraphernalia.

I really wish she would have just come clean (secretly wish she said it was her boyfriend's. I probably would have believed that). This is more or less confirmation, but I don't know what to do about. She's really to the point and age that if she doesn't want help, there's nothing I can do.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

She IS at the point and age that if she doesn't want help, there's nothing you can do. She's been at that point and age for over 30 years.

None of us can help someone who doesn't want help. You know what you know. She is using and there's not one thing you can do about it. Letting her know that you know will only cause her to be more careful about hiding her stuff.

I know this sounds harsh, but it is the honest truth. An addict will lie to your face and almost have you believing them because they seem so sincere. But, again...you know what you know. I'm sorry. I know it hurts. ((((HUGS))))
Old 11-29-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

From the description crystals, it is probably crystal meth, but it is possibly cocaine. You put the crystals on the mirror and chop it into a fine powder and snort it up your nose through the stray. She could get into serious trouble with the law if caught. On the street if somebody knew she had it, there is the possibility she could be robbed violently, and even you could get your door kicked in by a swat team if things got bad enough. There is always hope that you can get her off, but make it clear to her to never bring it into your home again. Rootin for ya.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Mom do not look in my purse because you may find...my jewelry making supplies? I would trust my gut on this one.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

complete BS. you KNOW what you know. you knew before you looked.
sounds like crystal meth....it's called "crystal" for it's appearance. I don't know of anyone who uses cut up straws and mirrors to MAKE jewelry, just snorting dope. sorry. doesn't sound like 50 is slowing her down any.........