Notices

Drinking side effects questions for a noob

Old 11-29-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking side effects questions for a noob

I have a few questions about side effects last week I stopped drinking , previously to that at night my whole body would itch at night about 3 times a week. Since I quite that dosnt happen anymore , did anyone else experience anything like this ?
second my skin looks much better , is this just in my head ?

Third I was drinking 2-3 bottles of wine a night I've been very hungry and thirsty . is this normal ? if I keep my current exercise routine can I expect to lose or gain wheight ?
other then a multi b vitamin what else should I do to help repair my system ?
thanks for any advice
Old 11-29-2013, 12:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AdmimalBlueEyes View Post
I have a few questions about side effects last week I stopped drinking , previously to that at night my whole body would itch at night about 3 times a week. Since I quite that dosnt happen anymore , did anyone else experience anything like this ?

Third I was drinking 2-3 bottles of wine a night I've been very hungry and thirsty . is this normal ? if I keep my current exercise routine can I expect to lose or gain wheight ?
thanks for any advice

I craved sweets. You may gain a few pounds but it will all even out. I believe it's normal. I itched too.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not me but I hear it's fairly common

Most of us find our complexions get better eventually, tho some actually get worse before they get better.

thanks for any advice
I think it's fairly common to have a healthy appetite and thirst in the beginning - it was for me.

As for weight gain/loss - I dunno what your exercise regime is, or what your lifestyle or health is like, but generally, if you're basically healthy, if you burn off more calories than you put in you'll soon lose weight?

as for repair - I let time do the work.

I figured I didn't arrive at this point in a few weeks so it was reasonable to expect things to take a little while to heal.

I didn't want to take any potions or powders cos I figured my mind, body and liver had suffered enough.

All I took was a multi vitamin

D
Old 11-29-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One - I did not itch before I quit, I itched after. It was strange but it went away along with all of the side effects that I had when I quit. Took about two months.

Two - My skin is the same but I have heard many that stated their skin got clearer. I know my eyes are clearer and I look fresh. I am going to plan a visit to a dermatologist after the new year.

Three - I was so thirsty. I drank a ton of water. Very normal. Just drink away and clear out the system. I was not as hungry and I still do not have the best appetite but looking back I did not have one before. My food intake was junk food all day at my desk which was more because I wanted a cigarette and my dinner was a pile of bad food eaten while I was drunk. It was a trough, not a plate..lol. I have lost 40 pounds. 5 pounds for each month I have been sober. Go me! LOL
Old 11-29-2013, 01:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi,
my skin never itched but it appears it's common.

Skin looks far better, almost since the beginning. Being hungry and thirst also seems normal; your body is nutrient-deficient so it makes sense that it want to catch up.

Weight gain or loss would also (unless there are medical conditions) be affected by how undernourished you are. Sugar cravings are common as you now aren't taking in the calories from alcohol. I gained weight because I indulged these cravings and I believe the citalopram I take also causes sugar cravings. I've cut down on the meds and increased my exercise and am losing the excess now. Just continue as you are and keep aneye on your weight - if you eat well and exercise moderately you should have no major problem.

I had vitamin B injections weekly for 3 months; now I have them monthly

All the best!
Old 11-29-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How long till I start getting tired at night ? I did my drinking at around 8pm till I passed out at around ten , I've read that the effects of 10-12 drinks in that time frame is similar to a medium anastesia , needless to say I'm pretty wired at night I can take tylonal pm till I'm blue in the face with no effect . I'm al o taking mellatonin and vitamin b , eventually I have to get back on a real sleeping pattern . any tips ?
Old 11-29-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovery Padawan

thanks for any advice
I didn't get itchy skin sober or drunk. Apparently my complexion is better though.

Drinking alcoholic drinks curbed my appetite. Since I stopped drinking I'm eating regualrly again. I'm not sure what your goals are exercise wise but I'd suggest eating healthily and keeping up the exercise

I take a vitamin B complex along with VItamin C as my immune system is fairly knackered due to medical issues. Maybe try drinking plenty of water too?

Old 11-29-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovery Padawan

How long till I start getting tired at night ? I did my drinking at around 8pm till I passed out at around ten , I've read that the effects of 10-12 drinks in that time frame is similar to a medium anastesia , needless to say I'm pretty wired at night I can take tylonal pm till I'm blue in the face with no effect . I'm al o taking mellatonin and vitamin b , eventually I have to get back on a real sleeping pattern . any tips ?
My sleep patterns went to hell the last time I quit drinking. It's not so bad this time.

What I do is go to bed and get up at the same time every day. It might take a while to adjust but, for me anyway, it evens out fairly quickly.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi AO, Try getting away from the tv and even the computer for an hour before bed. Here's my little tip that helps me relax. Don't know where you live. But here is a nice relaxing video of the ocean waves in Hawaii.

I put the laptop on my belly or side in bed and just watch the waves. Sometimes I open a new tab and find meditation videos and play in the back ground. Soft music like violin or piano. I turn the lights out and maximize the screen and just relax. Hope it helps a bit.

Here's the link
SANDY BEACH - HONOLULU BEACHES Oahu #76 Beaches Ocean Waves HD Hawaii Beach wave sounds nature - YouTube