OT: Is there anything better?

Old 11-28-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Is there anything better?

than the glorious aromas of Thanksgiving dinner? my oh my. since it's just the two of us we have a boneless turkey breast (which hank brined) and dressing baking in muffin tins, candied carrots and gravy. it's pitch black out at 5:45 pm, warm soft lights glowing from the houses around the lake, we're in jammie pants and watching football.

ok, so the packers debacle wasn't exactly FUN. in fact, we turned it off. but even that didn't wreck the day. we just took a nap! can't think of a single thing I lack today, not one single thing that would make "it" better.

wishing all peace, comfort and joy.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Happy Thanksgiving, Anvil!

Sorry about your Packers. I was rooting for them. My Cowboys managed a come from behind win, which was somewhat surprising.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

now we are lickin' our chops waiting for MNF! Hawks-Saints at home at the Clink with the 12th man and a threat of snow.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

RAD brought a friend to dinner. His mom died years ago and the rest of his immediate family live out of state. His dad is a recovering addict, celebrating 21 years today. He's been a speaker at a couple of conventions.

While our dinner was plentiful, our cups overflowed with experience, strength, and hope
Old 11-28-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love it when the unexpected guest is the unexpected gift!!! how cool Chino.

I remember Thanksgiving the year I was pregnant with Renee (30 years ago), and we (her dad and I) lived in a rental house right behind the shop where we worked for his parents. none of the parents (his mom and dad and my mom) wanted me going thru the trouble of cooking in my "condition." pfft.

so there I am, running around getting things going (the shop actually was open for a half day) and I go to check the turkey in the oven.

as I open the oven door and it comes OFF in my hand, there is a knock at the kitchen door....

so I spin, oven door in hand, and open the door. it was brian, one of the employees just checking in on me. I said, brian, do you have any dinner plans? um, no, no I don't. I said, good, if you can get THIS (handing him the oven door) back on THAT, (the oven with the gaping hole in the front where the door should be), then YOU are staying for dinner!!!

we ended up having a fabulous meal and delightful table conversation - our guest got to be part of a family gathering on a day he would have been alone, and it was stellar!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, I'm going to be rooting for the Saints. Sorry.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Next year I am coming to your house, Anvil, it's wayyy more fun than some of the Thanksgiving's I've been through...does one "go through" Thanksgiving? It sounds so ungrateful, lol. One of my most memoriable Thanksgivings was the one where I put a big dent in the roasting pan when I threw it across the kitchen after my then actively addicted son announced he was going out to use and wouldn't be back for dinner. Oh the woes of Thanksgiving past. I still have that pan as a reminder that my life doesn't have to stay bad...ever. Today I actually look forward to holidays and special occassions. If the old traditions have been broken, we make new ones and enjoy the day.

We're in Florida now so we went out for our turkey dinner tonight (yes, the vegetarians eat turkey on turkey days) and had a wonderful turkey and trimmings at a restaurant on the beach. When we got back to where we are staying, our new neighbour invited us over for pumpkin pie and coffee. There are no people on earth nicer than these southerners.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends here. We really do have so much to be thankful for, including wonderful friendships like we find right here at SR.

Hugs
Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's been a long time since I had a really good Thanksgiving. Thanksgivings have been like any of the holidays.....particularly stressful when addiction is involved. However, this Thanksgiving was quite pleasant. We went out to a very early dinner (lunch really) with our daughter, her fiancé, our son and his girlfriend.....everyone was on time, dressed nicely, and on their best behavior. The conversation was lively and fun.

Later we went to my mother's house to eat dessert. She didn't want to go out to eat with us because she's 80 and can't hear well so it is very uncomfortable for her to endure those situations. My brother was there as well and we all had HUGE pieces of pie. And again lively conversation.

It was a beautiful day and I am grateful. It has been many years since I have been able to say that.

Holidays can be so stressful when addiction is in the picture. I hope that everyone was able to find a bit of serenity and gratitude in the day......

gentle hugs
ke
Old 11-28-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

I love this time of year...the cool air, the smell of fireplaces burning and turkeys in the oven, the trees trying to hang on to their last leaf, the sound of children squealing and laughing, the taste of the holiday food, and hugging on the new babies. Sensory overload for the next month.

I had 45 for Thanksgiving on Sunday, lots of prepping, chopping, cooking, and carving. So much fun playing with the little ones, and challenging them to figure out the answers to their nonstop questions. Lots of photo opportunities and catching up with those I don’t see all the time.

Winding down the year, reflecting on the past, and looking forward to Christmas and beyond. And, so very grateful for all who are or were part of my life.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!! =] thanks for all of your support!
Old 11-29-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi SR Family! we had a fantastic Thanksgiving , travelled 10 hours to San Jose to spend five days with my husbands first cousin and wife. They are really like our brother and sister in law and they opened their house to the rowdy five of us! this Holiday was so special because JJ was here and PRESENT. My other son who started college this year and JJ have been up two nights in a row playing x box and horseplay in general. We had a cajun spiced deep fried turkey and ALL the sides. Looking forward to seeing a new movie today with Sis and my daughter. Hope everyone enjoys the long weekend!
Old 11-30-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow cynical...45 people...I'm overwhelmed just thinking about the cooking and clean up! I bet it was a blast!

We went to my husband's cousin's house. It was beautiful. They don't have much but always welcome everyone with open arms and make you feel like the most important people in the world. I was a lil sad thinking about my daughter in jail, alone in her cell. It's the first time I'm not with her on a holiday. Although, she was high last year which was quite obvious. We brought my 13yo's best friend with us. She does not get along well with her family (obviously because they didn't care that she wasn't with them for the holiday). She's a wonderful kid. I wish I could just keep her lol. She had a great time experiencing family. The food was the most amazing thing ever because I didn't have to cook it! First time in 15 years!!! Yay me!!! I prayed for all of you to have a peaceful day!