Notices

Could Use Everyone's Support Right Now

Old 11-28-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could Use Everyone's Support Right Now

I'm toying with the idea of walking down the street to Seven-Eleven and buying a couple tall boys of Budweiser. I'm not doing anything with my family this year. And I don't have any friends to spend it with either, so I am feeling pretty damn lonely right about now. I know that I shouldn't get the beer though. I'm 3 days sober. I keep thinking, if I get some beers, I'll feel really really good! But...but...agh! Why shouldn't I go an buy beer?! Because I do REALLY dumb stuff that I regret when I drink, because it's bad for my body, because it's deadening, because if I get some today, what will stop me from getting some tomorrow? ARGH!

Many times I have told myself that I will buy two tall boys, drink them, and not return for more, but many of those times, maybe most of them, I do return for more, and more, and more...Until I have had so many that I can no longer walk straight or think clearly. When I reach that point, I feel terrible. I'm home alone, and the only thing I'm concerned with is "feeling good". I try watching movies - boring. I try playing games - confusing. I try reading books/articles - unengaging I try masturbating - now I feel worse. Once I reach this point, sloppy and incoherent, and all out of ideas to feel good, getting high sounds quite appealing, so I may walk down the street and get smoked out by my neighbor. Now I can't think straight at all. I'm disoriented and numb. I desperately try to think of ways to feel good. Should I buy cigarettes even though I have successfully quit for 4 months? Should I try to get laid and risk contracting an STD? Should I drive to the strip club even though I know I would get a DUI if pulled over? Or should I just buy a bunch of fatty junk food and pig out? That will make me feel good for a small amount of time at least.

Jesus. I wrote all that, yet I am still seriously considering getting alcohol.

I think I still haven't come to accept that I need to stop drinking. My common sense tells me that I need to stop, but my addiction tells me to just try it, just today, just this once, and see how it goes.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sholto

you know as well as I do, we never really know what might happen once we open that first tallie.

I think I still haven't come to accept that I need to stop drinking. My common sense tells me that I need to stop, but my addiction tells me to just try it, just today, just this once, and see how it goes.
I remember that rationalisation
I think you know full well you need to stop...and you know the outcomes ^ that is your AV talking.

Go read your old posts, or someone else's - remind myself why you're here...noone lands here by accident.

Why not do something, occupy yourself? watch TV, play a computer game - post to some people here who need help?

D
Old 11-28-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sholt . . . how about "just try sobriety, just today, just this once, and see how it goes" . . . you'll feel so much better in the morning, I guarantee it!!
Old 11-28-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are having a tough time. And drinking will make your loneliness go away or simply make you drown further in your sorrows ? I believe the answer is the latter. You can accept your feelings but not take action on it. Those feelings will pass but if you drink, it will make them stay and then you get to add shame and guilt on top the next day. Why not, go for a walk and get some fresh air. Clear your mind. Go for a drive or do something completely different. Just dont pick up a drink. It isnt worth it.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm going to try going for a walk, hopefully that will help a little bit.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

just walk in the opposite direction to the 7-11 & leave your wallet at home

D
Old 11-28-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Please don t drink and hang in there. If you crave human company, St Paul in Fremont has an alkathon with potluck (food is at 5pm I think). Call intergroup 206-587-2838 for more info. An alkathon is a day long AA meeting with speakers and you don t have to say anything. The Phoenix Club 15011 Aurora Ave N, Seattle has one too
I was just on the phone with the Cherry Hill fellowship and they are open and feeding people too. Meeting is at 8, all you have to do is take the number 48 from the U district where you are at and get out at Cherry and walk east 2701 East Cherry, I could hear laughter in the background they seem to be having a mighty good old time
Old 11-28-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I spent thanksgiving doing four AA meetings and eating dinner they provided. Maybe you can find an evening meeting!
Old 11-28-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi sholtokiwi. I'm glad you reached out for some support - you are among people who really get what you're going through.

So many times I felt exactly the same way. We're looking to give ourselves some peace - to turn off the negative thoughts running through our minds. The answer is not to be found at the bottom of those tallboys - and you know it won't be just 'a couple' - not very likely! I would vow to have a drink or two, but there was no such thing. It was always the whole bottle - then another bottle. It always led to doing stupid or embarrassing things - even dangerous ones. It always resulted in regret, remorse, and misery the next day. Not worth it! You know that though. I hope the walk helps - and I'm glad you came here to talk about it. We are with you.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't drink. Not worth it.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sholtokiwi View Post
Why shouldn't I go an buy beer?! Because I do REALLY dumb stuff that I regret when I drink, because it's bad for my body, because it's deadening, because if I get some today, what will stop me from getting some tomorrow? ARGH!

Many times I have told myself that I will buy two tall boys, drink them, and not return for more, but many of those times, maybe most of them, I do return for more, and more, and more...Until I have had so many that I can no longer walk straight or think clearly. would get a DUI if pulled over?.
You have explained very clearly why not buy beer. Remember what happens whenever you drink. Dont let your alcoholic voice deceive you.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well I got back from my walk, and I feel better. The craving is still there, but it isn't as overwhelming. Imma go buy a sub sandwich and munch on it for a bit. Thank you all for the support, it helps.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you're feeling a bit better. Sometimes you just have to string together several short "things"….walks, errands, tv etc……to pass the time….you won't regret it.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad that by the time I got to the bottom of this thread I see you didn't drink. Well done! I remember the early days when I quit and having that same feeling. Your mind is so conditioned to only feeling fulfilled when you have given it the poison that it craves that nothing else seems to satisfy the desire to feel good. For me, I had to fill my time with little things like Pondlady pointed out above to keep the time passing by.

It may feel like you are just wishing time away and not feeling good about it but, in time, you start to actually enjoy things you find little to no pleasure in right now. Your mind is playing tricks on you in early recovery so you have to trick it back until it gets balanced out. Once it does, things are SO MUCH BETTER!

Keep doing what you have to do in order to not take that first drink. In time, you will look back on days like today with a sense of accomplishment that you cannot imagine right now. Stay strong and keep up the good work!
Old 11-28-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Sholto. Day three for me is always good for thinking I can moderate my drinking and You know what? I cant. Over and over again I have proven I cant. My husband is an alcoholic too. He did last night what you were thinking Of Doing. A couple of tall boys and he was going to be done. He gets psychotic when he drinks and a couple tall cans of **** beer is just the stsrt of his night. it is soon a trip to the neighvprhood Crack house. He rolled in at 4 a.m. After spending money we dont have. Lost his keys at the crack house. Sounds fun doesnt it?

I would hit the alcathons. Much better option. Hang in there. You can do it.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're not drinking.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by sholtokiwi View Post
Well I got back from my walk, and I feel better. The craving is still there, but it isn't as overwhelming. Imma go buy a sub sandwich and munch on it for a bit. Thank you all for the support, it helps.
Aww, bless ya. Keep well xxxxx
Old 11-28-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through that.

And, please know there is always someone here at SR, so just check in anytime.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Sholto, we are all cheering you on. A walk really is a good idea, what about music? Your iPod? Maybe you play an instrument? What about something mentally absorbing? A good book, online word puzzles ... Let the cravings go, move beyond them, that alcoholic voice just wants to be listened to.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hang in there! This, too, shall pass (even if it doesn't feel like it right now.)