Notices

Rehab Situation

Old 11-27-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab Situation

Trying to get into the Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center in Cleveland, Ohio. I got booted out because I couldn't wake up to take my med's. I have schizophrenia, and yeah. I couldn't survive, people were picking on me. I had reached the point of surrender that I have hit now. But, recently I tried to go back, and they kicked me out again! Said I wasn't taking meds and I had too many problems. Well,
I'm trying to get back in. They said I need a list of med's for herpes and the mental health stuff. So I'm getting on top of that, it's cold outside so I'm living with another alcoholic. (recovering) I really need to get back into that place, they offer work rehab, food 3 times a day, and they really take care of you. My only problem is, I have trouble waking up early in the morning, and am hard to get to sleep on time. (Before 12) I also like to read, but find myself vegging out infront of TV's while I'm there. How can I discipline and train myself to center my activities around my work schedule?
I have to wake up at 6 a.m. to take my meds, to go downstairs, three flights of stairs to the intake coordinator's office. And it SUCKS. Breakfast is at Seven. And I have to take a shower and get dressed, so that means waking up at 5:30 a.m. I am so bummed, how can I do this? I lack the personality and have laziness and character defects when it comes to getting up on time...anybody have any tips? I have never worked in my life, or woken up early since 2006, back when I was drinking everyday. I will have to be completely sober everyday there, the only plus is that I get to work around girl's...Can anybody offer me any advice?
Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
As a former rehab patient, I understand how annoying those early days were. At my rehab, I sometimes had to wake up at 4:30am just to have a shot at getting in the shower.

Will you have roommates? Can you ask them for help? Can you talk to one of the supervisors and explain the situation so they could help get you up? We would get 5:30am knocks on the door to wake up, but I would sleep through so I asked them to come into the room and turn on the light.

Your body will adjust to the schedule after a few days. You just have to make it through the beginning. An obviously, trying to get to bed at a normal time will help tremendously. Even if you lie awake in bed for hours until you fall asleep, it will help get you on schedule.

Best of luck!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmm, sounds like a pretty heavy rehab.

But I think I understand about the waking up, especially if you're on schiz meds - the last rehab I did, only about two months ago, some of us were moved upstairs to sleep in the psych unit. Not enough beds downstairs for incoming alcoholics / addicts.

So I got spend quite a bit of time chatting with many psych patients, over three weeks. And I really got to see how badly the meds - and ECT for those with severe depression - affects them.

Probably a dumb question, but is this place the only one you can go to? Perhaps there's a better one in another city which is also low or no cost??? is that worth checking out do you think?
Old 11-28-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by digdug View Post
As a former rehab patient, I understand how annoying those early days were. At my rehab, I sometimes had to wake up at 4:30am just to have a shot at getting in the shower.

Will you have roommates? Can you ask them for help? Can you talk to one of the supervisors and explain the situation so they could help get you up? We would get 5:30am knocks on the door to wake up, but I would sleep through so I asked them to come into the room and turn on the light.

Your body will adjust to the schedule after a few days. You just have to make it through the beginning. An obviously, trying to get to bed at a normal time will help tremendously. Even if you lie awake in bed for hours until you fall asleep, it will help get you on schedule.

Best of luck!
Thanks for being so nice everyone! Yeah I will have roomates, I will try to ask them for help. I will try to talk to the supervisor's..Yeah, like being in bed by 7. Maybe get back from work at 5, read a book until 6:30 and shower and bed. Thanks man
Old 11-28-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bemyself View Post
Hmm, sounds like a pretty heavy rehab.

But I think I understand about the waking up, especially if you're on schiz meds - the last rehab I did, only about two months ago, some of us were moved upstairs to sleep in the psych unit. Not enough beds downstairs for incoming alcoholics / addicts.

So I got spend quite a bit of time chatting with many psych patients, over three weeks. And I really got to see how badly the meds - and ECT for those with severe depression - affects them.

Probably a dumb question, but is this place the only one you can go to? Perhaps there's a better one in another city which is also low or no cost??? is that worth checking out do you think?
Yeah I will try Stellamaris, none of them cost money I don't think. But you have to work, that's the only cache. I will also try the Ed Keating Center. Thanks man. Yeah and a lot of those med's are really heavy duty. They suck man but I need them..thanks
Old 11-28-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi skate.

That's a pretty tall order you're facing. I'm familiar with the actions of the drugs you're taking. Breaking long-standing habits, especially, sleeping patterns, is extremely difficult. With both your meds and your sleeping habits, biology is a formidable opponent.

I think it's a good strategy to let your counselors what's going on with you so, if nothing, else, they may modify their expectations for you. Sadly, many treatment centers labor under the delusion that they're providing "tough love" by holding people with psychological and medical disabilities to a higher standard. This often does more harm than good.

It's one thing to encourage people to meet their potential as human beings, and quite another to ignore their suffering in the service of some vague greater good.