Notices

fighting, not submitting

Old 11-27-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fighting, not submitting

Strange, strange day. Last night there was a situation in our house that caused my AV to blast me from all angles. I dug in for the long haul, steadfast in my resistance. I fought so hard that I was literally wide awake all night, no joke, no exaggeration, watching the hours go by. Got out of bed at 5, got ready, and went to work. It was an early day, and on the drive home, I experienced a massive surge of energy, positive thoughts, motivation. I felt l could do anything. I rolled down the windows and blasted my favorite music as I drove down the freeway. Then, after I got home, I began to slide, emotionally, and by 4:00 I was lower than I have been since I stopped drinking a week ago. I felt so low, exhausted, and crappy that I really, really wanted to just chug down some booze. I'm not going to. I try to eat well, but at the moment I need to do something, so I'm going to go out and get some ice cream. I think I may feel low too because today is like a Friday and my instinct is to "celebrate"/"relax" with a few drinks. However, no.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

What helped me early on was to discipline myself to not get too high or too low. Staying on an even keel while retaining my passion for the people and things I love seems now to be a big part of my enduring self.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep it up Malcolm! Proud of you for not giving in - you can push past this!

Old 11-28-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I totally understand that Friday feeling/instinct, but hang in there!!
Old 11-28-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Early sobriety was a rollercoaster for me. Things became much more stable over time, and ii am far more stable when pushed to my limits. Hang in there, it s worth it.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by malcolmsloan View Post
Strange, strange day. Last night there was a situation in our house that caused my AV to blast me from all angles. I dug in for the long haul, steadfast in my resistance. I fought so hard that I was literally wide awake all night, no joke, no exaggeration, watching the hours go by. Got out of bed at 5, got ready, and went to work. It was an early day, and on the drive home, I experienced a massive surge of energy, positive thoughts, motivation. I felt l could do anything. I rolled down the windows and blasted my favorite music as I drove down the freeway. Then, after I got home, I began to slide, emotionally, and by 4:00 I was lower than I have been since I stopped drinking a week ago. I felt so low, exhausted, and crappy that I really, really wanted to just chug down some booze. I'm not going to. I try to eat well, but at the moment I need to do something, so I'm going to go out and get some ice cream. I think I may feel low too because today is like a Friday and my instinct is to "celebrate"/"relax" with a few drinks. However, no.
Just a thought, but AA people talk about 'HALT' - Hungry, angry, lonely and TIRED If you'd been awake all night, then you would for sure have been tired Xx
Old 11-28-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. There is an expression "this too shall pass," and it will if we let it take it's time. When I first got sober I hated the word time but came to accept things I can't change. This may be an unknown suggestion but going to an AA meeting at all stages of our path to sobriety is a fairly common way to relieve out tensions especially during this season.

BE WELL
Old 11-28-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Brain chemistry is on a yo-yo during that first week, expect some mood swings.

Stay the course, keep a calm hand on the tiller.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

that was me for about two weeks after i stopped. just coming out of it now. my emotions were all over because i didn't have alcohol to full them and anxiety hit. your mind is reconfiguring! sit with the discomfort for a while and ride it out. believe that it will pass, because it will. smiles
Old 11-28-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, great advice and insights as usual. This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for everyone at SR. I could not be doing this without you guys.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One of the wise people in my SR class once noted that life didn't just stop because we're working on our recovery. There are all kinds of situations -- the washing machine will need repair, an elderly parent's health will decline, a frustrating boss will get on our last nerve. The list goes on.

The difference for us is making the choice to handle it in sobriety. As folks say so often on SR, "live in the solution."

You're doing great, Malcolm!