Notices

Little Changes, Big Rewards

Old 11-27-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Little Changes, Big Rewards

Before leaving work today, a coworker said "Man I can't wait to get outta here so I can start drinkin'." My first thought was "Seriously dude? How sad." Then I realized....that used to be me! I'm just nearing 3 weeks of sobriety and already beginning to notice things I ever did before. Like an unconscious shift in my attitude towards alcohol. I quit for nearly a year about 4 years ago, but I think I was more of a "dry drunk" then; wanting to drink and being miserable that I couldn't. Now I truly want to be sober, maybe that is the difference?

Anyway, sorry to ramble on. It really just floored me that my first thought was "how sad"; so effortless and natural. I'm amazed.

I come to SR daily to keep me accountable and for inspiration. For that I thank you all.

So, to anyone who is struggling, hang in there. Day by day, it really does get better.

I hope everyone has a safe, peaceful and sober Thanksgiving!

~Linda
Old 11-27-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three weeks sober! It is amazing how our thinking changes once alcohol is out of the picture.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Thata girl !!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Welcome back to SR LindaLou

I quit drinking the first part of 2009 and did not drink for most of the year.

By the end of the year I convinced myself I could control my drinking. It was no problem for a few months. After that I was back to beer for breakfast and hang-overs every day. Took me 3 1/2 years to quit again. I learned my lesson about moderation.

Congratulations on almost 3 SOBER weeks!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks TexasM! I hear ya about moderation. I could moderate the first drink, but not the rest that followed (ha ha)!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by LindaLou View Post
I quit for nearly a year about 4 years ago, but I think I was more of a "dry drunk" then; wanting to drink and being miserable that I couldn't. Now I truly want to be sober, maybe that is the difference?
I fully relate to it and trust and believe this is the difference indeed.

To me it would be no point of "not drinking" if I want to drink. I loved drinking and I loved being drunk.

So, I've tried that life and am now trying a new one, a sober one, hapilly re-visiting the world that somehow has more hues and more colors, more sounds and more smells than the other one, drowned in booze, distorted through the broken glass of a shattered bottle somewhere nearby...

Apage Satanas! I may be crazy, but I am sober.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Correy View Post
So, I've tried that life and am now trying a new one, a sober one, hapilly re-visiting the world that somehow has more hues and more colors, more sounds and more smells than the other one, drowned in booze, distorted through the broken glass of a shattered bottle somewhere nearby...

Indeed, it is a brighter world. I love the way you've described it! Almost poetic.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Haha yeah the first drink was never the problem, it was the finishing off of the bottle!!

Congrats on 3 weeks!!