My saviour

Old 11-27-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My saviour

Two years ago we got a collie puppy from a rescue,we fostered him,then went on to adopt him,we have always been a dog/cat free home,never considered myself to be an animal lover.I reared three kids without pets,My youngest is 24.My kids cant believe how I have given him complete run of the house etc.
Two years later that clever intelligent affectionate puppy has grown into a big dog,and he has now rescued me.as I was walking in the park today playing with him,4 weeks after I split with my partner,i realised that ,he has got me out in fresh air every day walking,if I hadn't got him,i know I wouldn't have bothered leaving the house.
So happy to have him.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

getthere---I am curious---how is it that you had classified yourself as a non-animal lover--how did this come about, do you think??

dandylion
Old 11-27-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We had a dog when I was growing up,but he was just tied out the back garden,i come from a large family,and we never walked the poor thing,didnt really interact with him.
When I think of poor thing now,our dog is not left out for more than five minutes,we fret when we leave him alone,he has us completely wrapped around his paws...lol
I would never hurt an animal,but I NEVER realised just how affectionate,clever a dog can be,didnt realise dogs understand EVERYTHING you say.then again Collies are super intelligent
Old 11-27-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

OH, Yes, I understand--you never had any kind of frame of reference on this--until now.

I am glad you have your friend.

Same is true with cats---if you have never had o ne---and, you got a kitten--the same thing will happen. Also the Collie would love and "herd" the cat!!...LOL

dandylion
Old 11-27-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
OH, Yes, I understand--you never had any kind of frame of reference on this--until now.

I am glad you have your friend.

Same is true with cats---if you have never had o ne---and, you got a kitten--the same thing will happen. Also the Collie would love and "herd" the cat!!...LOL

dandylion
We have LOTS of cats living around us,he spends ages running from front door to back door,jumping up at wall ,crying to get at them.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

LOl..LOl...that's because they aren't HIS cats. He is a sheparding dog...they will guard and herd anything that moves (if it is on their territory).

I love collies....I had a german shepard and they have similar characteristics to the collie. super intelligent and so easy to train...so loyal and well behaved. And Collies are soo beautiful.
I understand why you love him so.

dandylion
Old 11-27-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Getthere, my cats are my babies! They always make me feel better. When I was a child and was upset about something, I always told my cats. Yes, I'm the crazy cat lady who talks to her cats like they're people. Mine do actually talk back... I really like dogs, too. They're loyal & affectionate. I don't have dogs for the exact reason you 'thought' you weren't an animal lover. We had a couple dogs growing up and we never gave them enough attention. I recognize that I don't have adequate time for a dog now but haven't ruled out getting one when the kids move out.

I'm glad you have your dog. Pets are great companions
Old 11-27-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My dogs have gotten me through some hard times. I am also forced to leave the house, even when I don't want to because they need to be walked at least three times a day.

My mother has always been an animal lover and is now a crazy cat lady (not in a bad way!). I am very allergic to cats so we couldn't have any when I was a child. It's funny--my dad never liked cats until one showed up at his house one day. Now he constantly talks about how funny and great his cat is. LOL

Pets enrich our lives so much. I believe they come into our lives for a reason, whether it's to help us through trying times, teach us patience, and/or how to love unconditionally.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree that animals can be our saviors! I have 3 dogs. One is the extremely handsome basset in my avatar, Ned, who is the softest, warmest, cuddliest hound ever. He sleeps w/me every night and is the exact size to fit curled in along my front.

Another is Daisy, the terrier mix, who rules the roost and is so quick and agile and clever. She's a little black shadow who terrorizes Ned when he needs it!

Last but certainly not least is Sam, the ancient basset. He's been with me a year now, came to us from a rescue. He belonged to an old person who had to give him up due to their own health issues. He is now 16 and has issues w/incontinence and weakness in his back end, due to a suspected old back injury. He is still THERE, though, voicing his strong opinions on how things ought to be and using that basset nose to check things out. I expected to give him a home for a few months to live out his last days. He's made it longer than I hoped and has caused me to love him way more than I thought I would or wanted to...

The warm weight of a dog next to you can heal so many wounds, can't it?
Old 11-27-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

JustAGirl1971 are we twins??????
My cats are my world! They are literally the reason I get up in the morning! I was so unhappy in April that I literally prayed I could die in the night but they got me through. I hit rock bottom and realised I deserved more! It is hard to be really depressed with animals - however upset I am about AH I cannot help but smile when JoJo brings me her fetch or Lysander rolls on his tummy! I talk to them all time - I will consider myself 'truly mad cat woman' when they talk back! But yes, they talk with their eyes and body language.
I can never fall apart when I have litter trays to clean and food and water bowls to prepare and they give me reason to take care of myself so I can take care of them. Ok I confess I have 16 - we lost two this year, one 17.5 year old from kidney failure and the other when his second thyroid went and I mourn them both very much still
I am pleased you have your dog as a friend Getthere! wishing you all the happiness in the world.
xxx
Old 11-27-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Erma, Schnauzer, and Trevor, Standard Dachshund. They are both rescues and I am so grateful to have them in my life.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

They are lovely readerbaby71. Rescue animals are mega precious.
I still have one rescue cat - I had 3 at one stage. It is harder now I breed because I just don't have the space. But I do think when my breeding Wegies days are over, I would definitely have another rescue or two. They give so much more than they take.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awww, love stories about dogs! Our puppy is 14 months old now and is my saving grace as well. He sleeps with me and generally runs the house at will, LOL! He has some anxiety issues now because of when he was attacked a few months ago, but I'm working with him on those things and keep taking him out to socialize him.

I grew up a cat person, but my AH was severely allergic to cats so we got dogs. Zayne is our 3rd dog and he's so dang smart and now has learned how to open up the step can trash can in the kitchen to pull out napkins and paper towels so that he can shred them and be chased.

I'll try to attach a pic!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My JoJo is a cat but will play fetch for long periods - she will actually drop her toy in my hand and if I am not watching her will jump up and put it next to me and paw me. Her Auntie did it as a kitten but my other cats don't do it. Quite unusual behaviour but always makes me smile. I also have laser pens and use it to encourage play therapy now the weather isn't good and my lot don't like to go out. I have to confess one of my top show ones is rather er....*****, so I am trying to slim him down before next show!
Vet thought it funny that I was asking for was waistline advice since I am a usa size -0/2 but still have managed to have a rather plump 18 month year old.

It is lovely to read that others on here get comfort from their animals too. Mine are my family - sad but true!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wasn't using a rude word so not sure about the ***** I was just trying to explain that Lysander is a little on the plump side for showing!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
totfit

Refreshing post. It is nice to hear from someone discussing their higher power which they choose to call "dog".
Old 11-27-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't know what I would do if it weren't for my 2 yorky babys. I never thought myself an animal person either but with my boys grown they have filled a huge void for me. We recently got a cat (we just moved into an old farm house and the mice are a problem) I have always disliked cats and thought he was just going to serve a purpose.......lol, apparently that purpose was too add to my family. We love him like crazy!!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Quish, my cats actually do talk back. One cat only sporadically (and usually only if he wants to be fed or pet.) The other cat almost almost always talks back. I've had several friends/family members suggest I put him on youtube. He also understands quite a few words though his favorites are: food, feed, eat, snack,comb, & brush He frequently greets me at the door when I get home from work.

Mine are both rescues & were underweight when we adopted them. Both are overweight now. The talker is probably obese though he's slimmed down since we transitioned him from dry to wet food. I attribute it to food insecurity from their homeless days.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What a great story! You know, I was thinking about all of us last night. How some struggle with not having enough time alone, some too much time alone. I don't think there is a single person in the lot of us who would not benefit from having a pet! I truly to goodness love my dog. He snuggles with me, he seems to know my moods. He is wonderful. He is also wonderful for my kids. The other day my daughter was sick and he just snuggled up to her for the whole day. It is so sweet. He is just a little rescue mutt but I think he is wonderful!

For those who have too much time and a hard time meeting people, wouldn't that be a great way. Get a dog and take it to the dog park, enter into an agility class, whatever. I just think they are super great!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I agree that animals can be our saviors! I have 3 dogs. One is the extremely handsome basset in my avatar, Ned, who is the softest, warmest, cuddliest hound ever. He sleeps w/me every night and is the exact size to fit curled in along my front.

Another is Daisy, the terrier mix, who rules the roost and is so quick and agile and clever. She's a little black shadow who terrorizes Ned when he needs it!

Last but certainly not least is Sam, the ancient basset. He's been with me a year now, came to us from a rescue. He belonged to an old person who had to give him up due to their own health issues. He is now 16 and has issues w/incontinence and weakness in his back end, due to a suspected old back injury. He is still THERE, though, voicing his strong opinions on how things ought to be and using that basset nose to check things out. I expected to give him a home for a few months to live out his last days. He's made it longer than I hoped and has caused me to love him way more than I thought I would or wanted to...

The warm weight of a dog next to you can heal so many wounds, can't it?
I love your picture,my collie,actually he is my daughters,but he forgets that,also sleeps on my bed,he THINKS he is right size,but at 30kg,he is in denial,i cracked my ribs 7 weeks ago,and for first few weeks he was so gentle,but he now assumes I am better and just jumps and sits on me.