Notices

Relapse after almost 3 years

Old 11-26-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse after almost 3 years

Hey everyone...

In August I moved from my hometown, which is a larger city to a small town to finish getting my Bachelors degree and to have a chance to play college football.

I am 25 and was nearly 3 years sober when I relapsed a few weeks ago. I got sober at a homeless shelter and had a strong network in my hometown of sober friends. In the new town there is little AA, but it is present. One meeting a week with about 4 people and in the surrounding areas there is more but almost no people around my age that I feel all that connected to (of course I feel connected to any alcoholics, but hard to hang out with a bunch of 60 year old guys outside of the meeting)

I have owned up to the relapse to most people in support group, have yet to tell my parents as my sponsor instructed me it would do more harm to them at the moment but I will need to tell them eventually.

Just looking for another avenue of sober support. I am reading the big book from the beginning with my sponsor who I have had over the last 3 years.

It feels strange to have a high bottom. 2 weeks worth of relapsing left my body surprisingly burnt and woke up and knew I had to stop or I would lose my chance to continue football and finish college.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Sincerely.

KLM
Old 11-26-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR klm - you'll certainly find a ton of sober support here

D
Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Welcome KLM! If you're looking for support, you've found a great place.

It's great that you're still connected to the program. I don't have much experience with small towns, but if there is a stronger AA presence in the surrounding areas, maybe it's worth venturing a bit further to find a meeting you can better relate to. I'm sure in the past, you've traveled just as far to find a way to drink.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow three years sober. I'm impressed! You can do this!!!! Good luck KLM!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR KLM!! You are wise at such a young age. It will save you from wasting years going around in circles trying to hold your life in one piece as I have.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It seems to me as though you have responded to that relapse in a very sensible way and by the following that path you should soon be back to sustained sobriety. Well done.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick responses...

Been eating the humble pie the last few weeks...kind of sucks but I definitely do not feel as if I let the last 3 years go to waste. I have come a long way since the year I spent in treatment at the homeless shelter (amazing how the disease can creep up on you despite all the things you have been through because of it)

One thing my sponsor said to think about was how I practically shut down all of my defenses against the first drink as I was in the process of taking it. It was like my disease had taken control and did not allow my brain to recall any of the pain or any of the tools that I have learned to defend against it.

He said this is something that could help a lot of people in the long run as he said he had never experienced it before (hes been sober 30 some odd years)

Thanks again for the quick responses :-)

Time to get my trudge on.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hey there :)

hey man i am in rehab after relapsing for 2.5 years after having seven years sober......dont worry, put the plug in the jug, leave it there, and dont look in the rear view mirror too much or youll crash the car.

welcome and best of luck

vandermast
Old 11-27-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Welcome KLM! So much respect for you staying sober for 3 years and young too. I love to hear of other young alcoholics staying sober. I also started AA in my early twenties but have really struggled. You're an inspiration!

Sorry to hear about your relapse, but it sounds like you are looking at it ina very measured way which is great. There will be a big lesson for you to learn within it i guess. Can you start calling your old support group more regularly, a different one each evening perhaps? You will find great support on this forum be it by reading or sharing yourself. It has helped me so much the past fortnight getting back on track as you can open it 24/7 and there's always support

Keep posting, glad you're here
Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey bud! Three years here myself but I am old enough to be your dad if you were ten years older. I wish I saw what was coming all those years I drank normally until at 50 I started really having a problem, and by 55 was drinking in the mornings to stop the shaking. I know I don't have another several years of drinking that is survivable. I am done. But your post keeps the fires burning. We all have this dis-ease. Thanks for the reminder. And again, you came to the right place.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey KLM welcome!!!!

Its a wonder I have had since the beginning of my sobriety on how someone can relapse after 1,2,5,10,30 years of being clean and sober. You know, we are all one drink away from the ditch and for me to be aware of that is so very important in my ongoing recovery. I am truly happy for you getting back on the recovery road again, and I am confident with your experience 24 hrs away from 3 years again. (if that makes sense) Have a great day and hut hut!

Matt
Old 11-27-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think three years sober, at your age, in college, is remarkable. You've overcome so many obsticles, you'll overcome this one.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Three years of sobriety is huge, especially at 25. I wish I was smart enough to stop drinking at your age. I am still working on stringing time together, thanks for the inspiration, and welcome to SR!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Carl is the only one left with me from our class of September 2010 here. I hope you smile when you still see me doing well as I do you.

KLM,
Join the class of November 2013. Help some classmates get by. You will find them at Newcomers forum here.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

im sure a lot of them 60 year old guys weren't 60 when they got sober.
the 67 year old man that buggered me up when I got into AA at 36.... had his 34th sober birthday a few months after I got into AA.
that 42 year old woman that did an open talk.... had just celebrated 28 years of recovery.

helped change my perspective.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I definitely did not mean any disrespect. My sponsor is one of those 60 year old guys and I initially asked him to be my sponsor because I want what he has (30+ years).

As far as good old fashion hootin' and hollerin' fun though it is easier to find that with people around my age.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Can someone explain to me what exactly this class thing is??

So thankful for another support mechanism in sobriety,

Old 11-28-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

yeah i know what you mean im 25, last night was tough on me, littereally every single person my age was out at the bar, just like i used to be and it made me feel like i was missing out on "fun" but i went out to dinner with my brother and his friends and they drank and i didnt and still had a good time
Old 11-28-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm nearly twice your age but did relapse after 8 years sober, so I understand your position somewhat. This is a great place for additional support...
Old 11-29-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Perfect circle,
There is a thread for every month that all those quitting in that month post in for support. Thus this month's is the class of Nov 2013. Class meant like graduating from alcoholism back into the real world. Here is your class thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html