Notices

Not giving in!!!

Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not giving in!!!

I have this obsessive thought that won't seem to go away no matter how much I try to ignore it.

A holiday, any holiday was always an excuse for me to drink excessive amounts of alcohol. It was justified.

This is the first time in my life I have been serious about staying sober. Since I am new to this i have this uncontrollable thought that I will drink on Thursday... Alcohol will be there and I have to go. I read the holiday survival guide that was posted by Dee, I love it. I read it 5 times

I guess what I'm getting at is, I need to snap out of it and find a way to stop obsessing. So instead of ignoring this urge I will take it head on by reminding myself why I shouldn't drink... Our mind is so good at suppressing reasons not to.
I don't intend for this post to be negative, but instead I want it to be real. So......

I shouldn't give into the urge and drink Thursday because......... I don't want to wake up In the morning hating myself.

If anyone else cares to share please do
Old 11-26-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

I'm feeling similar. This, too, is my first time in my life (I'm 36) that I have been serious about getting sober and maintaining sobriety.

I was going to go up to my mom's in the mountains, but when I decided to change my life (early last week) I called her and told her I wouldn't make it. She has a BAR there and that is where my family sleeps when we visit. In addition to that, I have a horrible relationship with my step dad and can barely handle him 3 sheets to the wind. My mom is upset, but I had to do what is right for ME and MY FAMILY. We are having a quiet Thanksgiving at home, just the 4 of us. By the time Christmas rolls around, I hope to be able to handle the temptations. But right now, it's just too soon.

Those few hours of drinking on Thursday are not worth the way you will feel the like next and starting back at square 1. There are always going to be holidays and temptations as long as we live, and if we give in every time.. what are we really doing this for at all?

Good luck to us both!!! Sending you sober vibes
Old 11-26-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Great thread! Here are some more reasons for you to not drink:

1. You don't need the hangover.
2. Drinking on Thursday will probably lead to drinking on Friday. And Saturday. And ...
3. You are worth more than that.
4. You are absolutely and completely capable of enjoying yourself without drinking. Really.
5. No drink will ever feel as good as your sobriety.

Does that help?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sue, Thank you for the sober vibes! Desert song... Yes it does help. Number 2 is all me.. Was me.. #5is so true.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh... And Sue good luck to both of us as well.. Sending those sober vibes right back at ya!!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by Sharpy View Post
I guess what I'm getting at is, I need to snap out of it and find a way to stop obsessing. So instead of ignoring this urge I will take it head on by reminding myself why I shouldn't drink...
I learned to observe urges and temptations, with a healthy curiosity.

What I am saying is that I do not let an urge to be "me" or to take over that "me" whatever it means, I look at it - visualize it - as a little, albeit cunning, but stupid little beast that hysterically wants its dope, in my case alcohol.

And I'm not giving it to it and derive quite a pleasure out of it. I was having a serious "life problem" at hand the other day and sure, what would an alcoholic think of but of a drink. And not even aware of what I am doing I said to my own alcoholic thought, "get the f** out of here, like I don't have enough problems already."

When I realized what just happened I started to laugh. But the urge was gone and did not come back. Soon after I even managed to resolve the problem.

I may be crazy but I am sober
Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SeaScape

It's such a challenging time of year. My partner and I are not going to families houses this week either - they were hurt. It was so difficult to do the best thing for ourselves but we are; it's being peaceful at home.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Correy;4314430]I learned to observe urges and temptations, with a healthy curiosity.

What I am saying is that I do not let an urge to be "me" or to take over that "me" whatever it means, I look at it - visualize it - as a little, albeit cunning, but stupid little beast that hysterically wants its dope, in my case alcohol.

Correy, I love the visualization technique. I think I will use that often.. Also I think it's great when you can laugh at yourself. Thank you .
Old 11-27-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

The good news is that alcohol can't run across the room and jump into your mouth.

If you're committed to not drinking it's all over but the shouting.

I shouldn't give into the urge and drink Thursday because......... I don't want to wake up In the morning hating myself.
Lots of "nots" in that sentence. What WILL you do Thursday and Friday?

for me...

I will be sober Thursday and spend Friday enjoying my family and maybe doing a little work on my construction project.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thursday I get to spend time with family. My son gets to play with other kids which Is so exciting to watch. (14 months) Thursday night we are decorating for Christmas.

My husband still drinks, but he can just have one and be fine. I know this is getting off subject, but does anyone else have someone close to them that they need for support who drinks? I have told him that I was going to quit drinking again. I just do t think he takes it serious or cares. I guess I should really tell him not to drink around me. I wish he just understood. He's kinda in denial that I have a problem. I think it's because I drank in spurts. I'd be good for a while, start drinking again, then it would get heavier and more frequent until I'd start getting depressed and violent and verbally abusive. That's where alcohol takes me. I wish he would see that I'm struggling. OK done with rant. :p
Old 11-27-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I wish he just understood...I wish he would see that I'm struggling.
Have you talked about it? If you haven't it might be time well spent. Maybe catch him at breakfast tomorrow. Don't wait until he's reaching for a bottle to pour a drink. Give him some time to work it around in his head.

I barely understand my addiction to alcohol, and it's me that has it! None of the normies in my family understand it. I wish they did, too, but they don't. That's just how it is, I think.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

for anyone who hasn't seen it, there are some great tips here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...val-guide.html

D
Old 11-27-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Sharpy, as secure as I feel about where I am at 6 months I had a bit of a rough patch today. It's the damned holidays. I had posted in the thread that Dee gave a link to that I felt lucky in the fact that I'm not really around people who drink so I'm ok.

Suuuuuuuuure, it really doesn't matter. Just the fact that it's a holiday tomorrow. On my way home from work I thought back to how I've spent prior years on Thanksgiving eve. Last year I went to a friends house for Thanksgiving Happy Hour and had a great time.

I had to just stop and play the tape through and remember how much I felt like crap the next morning with all the cooking I had to do.

We're in this together right? I think that just like it took us some time to get through the beginning cravings that the entire beginning year is a bunch of "firsts". Holidays that we used to go crazy on just because everyone else was drinking too, as though we needed some excuse to go overboard!

Stick close, as I will be tomorrow. So far the hardest was that drive home thinking about this evening. Doing fine now.

Lots of people here are going through this, you're not alone, we are all in this together!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you LadyBlue, your post really made me feel better and chilled out. I know it seems so hard right now for me because iit's just the beginning. It will pass and I'm sure I'll have my bad days. I'mreally glad im here. The support and understanding is more than I could ever hope for. I will definitely stay close tomorrow, probably checking in every chance I get. I know I can do this. I know we can do this. It's good to remember were not alone