Notices

Alcohol in many things unseen

Old 11-26-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Alcohol in many things unseen

I also struggle with many foods and additives that contain alcohol unbeknown to myself...I watch all I consume with a vigilance and ask what people use for dressings...I find many items have alcohol within them such as cough mixtures, mouthwashes and until my mother pointed it out to me that many things need to be looked at if I wanted to be completely alcohol free then look before purchasing any product read the labels carefully as these can be triggers as she found...PHEW I am sure glad that she told me that...
Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Having any form of alcohol in my apartment is a major trigger for me.

Near the end of my drinking, my withdrawals were so bad that I would drink anything just to stave them off enough to make it to the liquor store. That included drinking mouthwash, cooking wine, and even straight liquor that was only like 5% alcohol and pure syrup. If I had known about vanilla extract or hand sanitizer, I would have probably drank that too.

So now, I have to be very vigilant about the products I buy. Only alcohol-free mouthwash and aftershave. No medicines in liquid form, only capsules. And no hand sanitizer.

I have been in situations were these products were readily at my disposal, most recently in the hospital, and it wasn't really an issue, but I'm not about to take an chances. Even after 8 months sober, this is still life and death to me.