Notices

Alcoholism and the mind

Old 11-26-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and the mind

Hi
About the mind if an alcoholic. It is no different to everyone else is my belief
Is it a case of having will power as in anything we do.
Is it a change if thought "I will stop drinking". rather "I will start it stay sober"
I don't believe to know what each person goes through and I say it with respect.
Does it begin with the person and a realisation that they go through. A moment when they have to look at themselves much like someone dealing with guilt.
I hope I made sense but I would like to have a clearer understanding even if it is to help a loved one or friend
Thank you all
xx
Old 11-26-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I couldn't find the article, but an evolutionary biologist has made a claim that there is no such thing as "willpower". Every though and action is due to a chemical reaction based on environmental conditions.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I've never lived in anyone else's mind, so I cannot definitively say that my mind is or isn't different...but various scientific studies, and many hours of discussion with people who don't have addiction issues gives me the feeling that something in my brain behaves differently.

I am a multiple addict. Alcohol was just one thing I used compusively and obsessively.

About will power...it plays a role. I had to become willing to get sober, stay sober and learn to live sober. But quitting booze etc was more than just will power for ME. It was a process of accepting and CHOOSING to do things differently.

I didn't just choose to NOT do something (drink), in order for me (and my addictive brain) to not run back to booze etc I had to make new choices in many many areas of my life.

I don't know if you have any deeply ingrained habits or not. Many people have things they always do, but they cause no harm so they don't become an issue. Maybe it's a morning cup of coffee, or always wearing the same sort of socks or underpants, or being hooked on one brand of shampoo. If you do, imagine that one day someone told you to not do that anymore, to change that thing. At first you might want to know why, maybe reason or bargain, or try to come up with a situation when you could still have or do that thing. You would be uncomfortable with not having that thing in your life, or not liking the replacement.

Now imagine a intimate relationship, and losing that person through seperation or death. Your mind would think of them and you would realize they are not available and there would be strong emotions, and you might wonder how you could go on without them, etc etc.

Addiction is like those things. Even with something small, like a favorite restaurant closing, many people feel a sense of loss, anger, frustration that they have to change their routine. I mean, people get mad when a company stops making their favorite flavor of yogurt! So imagine all that but by the power of 10.

Like the loss of a partner or a deeply loved long term pet, suddenly something that was an ingrained part of your life, that you depend on, turn to, enjoy...is gone. Just gone. Yet...not quite gone because it's available..but you are no longer supposed to "go there".

It's not easy. It effects every area of life. It feels like a huge loss (at least for a while). It feels scary. Life may seem empty or too painful to endure.

Just like a person doesn't lose a job, parent or pet without having some very strong emotions and difficulties, neither does one just put down an addiction with a shrug.

Our brain chemistry has become attached to that substance in a way that makes the sense of loss painful, terrifying, and physically horrible. Whether or not is seems reasonable to someone not addicted, the fact is the brain chemistry is as hooked on that substance as a person is to their partner, pet, job etc. It's a chemical reality.

Will power definitely plays a part, but it's not as simple as just walking away, it's the will to choose many many times a day to learn a new way to address life.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi threshold

I have not told my alcoholic to stop i always thought that would not work.

I appreciate your post it gave me a lot to think about. I am not addict but two family members were and my current boyfriend. I find it heartbreaking why an addict in this case my alcoholic boyfriend drinks alone.
Xx
Old 11-26-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post, threshold
Old 11-26-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't fuss too much over the mind, just keep the hands from pouring the booze into the mouth.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wonderful words of wisdom threshold...
Old 11-26-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think alcoholism is more connected to the 5 senses. The smell of a fine wine; the clinking of glasses for a toast, the sight of a perfectly poured glass of beer, the feel of a cold mug in your hands, and the taste of a great champagne. Anyone of those things can bring the rush of a craving back to me faster than my brain just thinking about drinking. Just my opinion.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fantastic post, Threshold. Thanks for that.