Notices

Hope

Old 11-26-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hope

Hi all! I am feeling really weird about posting in a forum. . . never done this before. I have had a drinking problem since I was about 18 years old when I look back. I am 41. I have never truly committed to the fact that I am an alcoholic. Two years ago, I quit drinking for an entire year!! To me, that proved I did not have a drinking problem. I started back only drinking a little here and there. I don't drink all day, I don't drink everyday . . . but I am always thinking about when I can HAVE a drink. I am always thinking about grabbing that weekend bottle of wine. Well, this weekend was a turning point. I haven't been drinking much (well, not much for me). Just a few on the weekends. This weekend, my husband and I went out and I had 3 glasses of wine. Came home, and had a few more. I am not sure what happened, but I got so sick from those "few" glasses of wine that I went upstairs to the bathroom . . . passed out . . . vomited ALL over the place . . . all over myself . . . so ashamed. I have two children. One of them ALMOST came in the bathroom and would have seen a terrible sight. Thankfully, my husband came in before they could. He has saved them a few times from seeing things they would not be able to forget. I have realized that I can't "shut off" my drinking once it starts. I am so mad at myself, because I WANT to be able to drink like "normal" people, but I know that I can't. I worry myself, because I don't want to start that thought process again of "hey I can handle it" . . . and the holidays are coming up! What a terrible time to begin sobriety!!! Anyway, just wanted to post and share with someone who may be in a similar situation.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome newme2day,

These forums are a great place, I think you'll like them. Over the past few months before I quit drinking, I would only usually drink on weekends as well, but I found myself (as you mentioned) often (constantly) thinking about the next time I could drink. I think this is an addiction issue, for sure. It shows you have to restrain yourself from losing control, and the sheer act of having to restrain yourself may mean you have an issue with alcohol. I know for sure it means that I have an issue. Just because I was able to control my drinking to only drinking on weekends for a few months is irrelevant; I would think about it constantly. Now that I have stopped, albeit for only 10 days now, I no longer feel like I will be drinking on weekends and it will relieve some stress. Good luck to you!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! you'll find plenty of likeminded people here!!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Newme. This can be a wonderful change in your life and all we had to do is NOT DRINK TODAY. Helping that profound finding we found it very helpful to be honest with ourselves about our drinking. I didn't like the word alcoholic, because I wasn't "that bad" so it was suggested to think of the fact I have an allergy to alcohol and that I can not drink in safety.

This forum is very helpful along with AA to guide us to inner peace we've been seeking from drinking.

KEEP COMING AND BE WELL
Old 11-26-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

The mental obsession is a huge thing for me. It will be the first thought when I wake up and will run throughout the day and every decision. I think it is one part that normies just don't get.

I also drank from my mid teens to my mid 40s. It got different, but never better. Lots of support here.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome

It takes a while but you will find it is so much easier just to stop drinking. The mental battle of moderating is just soooooooo much work
Old 11-26-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The mental obsession can be a grind. It may end up the only facet of alcoholism that manifests in you, but quite strong by itself as a deterrent to sobriety. I found that by creating a ultimatum or barrier for myself, the obsessiveness subsided and I don't thirst for it like I used to. Perhaps once you declare to yourself an ultimatum to stop using it, your own obsession will dissipate.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I hope we can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm just starting to work on ny sobriety (again) after this weekend, because I seem to have missed the weekend completely, with the exception of ill advised Thanksgiving grocery shopping. I'm nervous about doing this right at the holidays too, but I'm reminding myself that if I'm sober I won't miss out on any of the good memories I plan to make. We can do this!
Old 11-26-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome x
Old 11-26-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome. The broken "off" switch and constantly thinking about alcohol will be familiar to most of us.

The torment got to me in the end- living sober is better once you get the knack- the best thing is more peace of mind.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome newme2day

I think most of us can relate to having no off switch...yet most of us want to be normal drinkers.

For me I had to accept that wasn't possible.

As terrible as a teetotal life might seem to you know, I prefer it - I'm no longer enslaved by my addiction, I'm the real me, and I can look myself in the face in the mirror and not be ashamed.

When those thoughts come of drinking again, post here - read this thread - maybe even join the Class of November thread - it's for everyone quitting this month, and is a great support

You'll find hope here newme - I did

D
Old 11-26-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Yes, that sounds horribly familiar to me! I agree wholeheartedly with MIRecovery, it is sooo much easier to quit altogether than to try to moderate (but you already know that because you've had a year alcohol-free). One of the best things about giving up drinking for me has been the freedom I feel. I'm no longer obsessing about the next glass or bottle or how fast I'm drinking etc etc. I'm free to enjoy the moment and the company and be confident of remaining (pretty much) dignified for the duration!
Old 11-26-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support. It is so awesome to know that I can come here each day and find others fighting this same battle. I really want to live a sober life but it is going to be hard. I am ashamed to say that drinking was something I looked forward to. Without it, what do I do? Thats what I have to figure out.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yep, drinking was my life.
Slowly but surely, you build a new life...

D