Notices

help

Old 11-25-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help

have been a heavy drinker for almost twenty years. i have lost most of my family and most of my friends. i have very little left to lose to this lifestyle. just don't really even know what to do or where to start in this sober thing.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bill, you do not have to feel this way, but in order to start to feel better you HAVE TO STOP drinking. Have you consulted your doctor about quitting? Might be a good first move.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

welcome bill

You started on a good foot by finding this place. It is full of supportive people who know what you are going through.

check in often, read , ask , post check out all the threads/forums here, there are tons of great stories and ideas on how to end your addiction
wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 11-25-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Bill. There is much help on this site as well as AA which has helped millions over many years.
The first thing I needed to do for a successful sobriety was to get and stay honest about my drinking and then accept the fact, as proven during my past, that I can not pick up the first drink in safety. I attended many meetings before the internet where many people helped me by saying "KEEP COMING" which I fortunately did.

To many of us successful sobriety means long term work a bit at a time. We found it works if we work it and remember how bad our drinking was and not glamorize it which can cause a trip down the wrong path.

BE WELL
Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You have made a start by finding us and posting here.

Get rid of the alcohol in your house, and don't drink today. Read around here and find out how we've had success with recovery.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bill!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome bill, you've already done more about your alcoholism today then yesterday. Start small and don't drink today... Deeker runs a 24 hour thread in the daily support section. There's so many supportive people here to help. You said you have nothing left to loose so the only place from here is UP!!!!!

Congrats on investing in your future
Old 11-25-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Bill - there's tons of support here
I stumbled in here seven years or so ago - the community here at SR helped me turn my life around.

I know you can do the same - its never too late Bill

D
Old 11-25-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Bill,

This place is great with the amount of support you receive. It's available 24/7 and everyone here shares your addiction. You'll find power in numbers here. It's never too late to start something positive in your life, and what better time to start than today.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. There's lots of support here to quit drinking. SR has really helped me a lot.