Notices

Finely going to do it.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finely going to do it.

Hey everyone. New one here, sober day #1! I'm 29 years old, and I could honestly say I'm over it. I've been on this site maybe 10 or so times in the past two years and I'm tired of looking and ready to join. I would have an episode, have an anxiety attack, look at this site, and then do it all over again. When I say "episode", I mean I'm a binge drinker. I'm actually a bar manager, but I don't drink while I'm at work. I'm actually the guy that everyone knows doesn't take shots, and I've always been proud of that. My problem is self medication when I over do it. This happens maybe once every four months. In between I'm fine with going out, maybe having two beers, and being content. When I'm on a binder I drink a gross amount, an amount that makes me feel so embarrassed. Anyway I've come to realize that my casual drinking is just not worth the episodes. I've disappointed my girlfriend, who is the backbone of my life, and my sister, who has been my support system my entire life. I'm just ready to be sober and healthy ALL the time. And for me that means no more alcohol, not none, not ever! So here I am, sharing my story with you guys. I actually had a bad episode last summer. I drank for a week straight and ended up getting alcohol-induced rhabdomyolysis. Research it if you want, but it's basically a form of severe dehydration. Spent three days in the hospital hooked up to an IV. And I still drank after that?! What an idiot! I guess I'm on here to talk to people who know what it feels like to "need" a drink. It's an awful feeling, but it is what it is. So to anybody out there who knows how I feel, feel free to share. Looking forward for some support, and to helping support others! Thanks for reading!
Old 11-24-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm a binge drinker myself, I can drink in moderation for weeks or even months and then go on a few day binge and make myself sick and scared for my life. Have had to face the fact that I just can't drink and sure don't want to kill myself and my health with alcohol. Good luck with your sober life, hang in there.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome timetostop
You'll find a lot of support and understanding here

Glad you've joined us
D
Old 11-24-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know the NEED you're talking about buddy. It sucks. I find solace in exercise. Seems to be the only cure for me. The endorphins I get from it seem to be a drug in and of themselves. Best part is, no hangover. Find something healthy to get hooked on and it will carry you a long way, and bring you back when the drink tries to take hold.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The long haul, I know exactly what you're talking about! The last time I quit drinking I was in the gym four days a week, and I'd never felt better! That was actually right before I got the rhabdo when I started drinking again. I'm absolutely heading back to Gold's tomorrow! Also thanks to everyone else for your quick responses and support. I wish the best for you all.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you finally joined the family. You've made a smart decision to quit drinking. I gave it up four years ago and don't regret a minute of it.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, quick update. Day #2! Doesn't sound like much, but I feel good, cause I know this time it's for good. Already called the local hospital and set up an appointment for their out patient program for drug/alcohol abuse. I'm feeling better although I didn't sleep at all last night. But I've been there before, so I know sleep will come. Got through work today and I'm off tonight. Still have my girlfriend and luckily my job. Gonna keep going, one day at a time. Good luck everybody!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

...also no more waking up to bruises not having a clue how they got there.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm a binge drinker, a steady drinker, and every other type of drinker. Lately, though, I've been a non-drinker, and I hope to keep it that way. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, first off happy Thanksgiving! Today is day four of sobriety. I started my first day after a day of tapering off from a binder, but this is day four with no booze whatsoever. Right now I feel a mix of feelings. I'm a little anxious, but mostly extremely fatigued and dumb for lack of a better word. My girlfriends family and I played yatzi this morning and I just felt like my ability to think went out the window. I'm taking a nap before we eat right now. Is this Normal? Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how long does it last? I just want to feel like myself again so badly.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome timetostop. To echo what others have said, you'll find lots support and understanding here. Congrats on day #2. Stay strong, stay focused, you can do it.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello timetostop ,
I think we are all different in terms of recovery . For me the first week was hard, week 3 was good , month three was excellent , i'll get back to you on year 3 … I slept a lot in the first month ..

There are up's and downs though , some real tough moments … I stuck with it and have found my "base level" of happiness and well being has greatly increased , i also have done some "work" on trying to understand myself and how my thinking can be misguided .

Keep on

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-28-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 4

Yeap, pretty normal, my first week was exhausting, wasn't sleeping right at night and so had the odd nap to get me through the day, though my second week is when everything changed, my sleeping became more regular and felt higher energy levels, hang in there and you'll see it all pay off too!!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Timetostop84, I'm on day 4 too. But I'm not a binge drinker. I've been drinking every day for a long time with only a few breaks here and there. I had to stop because of all my stupid mistakes and because my body literally cannot take this. Stay strong. I'm feeling anxious right now too, but that's why I came on this site for support. We can do this. Take a nap if you need to. I wish I had time. I gotta go to the in-laws soon, but at least staying busy keeps my mind off the bottle. Take care.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congrats and good luck xxx
Old 11-28-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey guys one more question. Anyone experience sores or ulcers after a binder? Especially after vomiting a lot? I know I've had them after every other binge, but I've been googling of course and my anxiety is through the roof. Somebody help me sleep!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't say I did.

Not to get into too much detail but the stuff we throw up is usually pretty acidic. I'd probably go see a Dr - I presume you mean mouth ulcers etc - they're pretty easy to treat.

If it's stomach ulcers you definitely need some professional advice.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, I meant in the mouth. They're definitely beginning to go down already, but I'm just being a hypochondriac.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

salt water is probably the best home remedy.
May sting a little tho.

D
Old 11-28-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Google PAWS to learn about napping and your brain. Watch change your brain change your life by doctor amen. I started taking certain herbs to get my brain back in top working order. There are more side effects that will pop up and that is not including all the crazy emotions. Good luck timetostop. I am 30 and quit 7 months ago and my life has changed more then I ever thought was possible. It is scary but see a doctor and be completely honest. That was the best thing I could have done in early sobriety. And make sure someone has your best intentions, I chose my parents and they took care of everything for a few months while I worked on getting better.