Notices

Is a recovery "program" necessary?

Old 11-24-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

Is a recovery "program" necessary?

Initially, I thought I may do AA. I got a book, "A New Day, A New Life" and the very second page told me to find a meeting. I wasn't happy about it but was going to give it a try this weekend. But I really, REALLY don't want to. I'm an introvert. I keep to myself and nothing sounds worse than talking to complete strangers about my life. So, I didn't go. I have been reading books, coming to this online community, and making my own sort of "program". I write in a journal daily. Have great support from my husband. Is is possible to kick addiction's ass without a traditional program? Or am I setting myself up for failure? Opinions?
Old 11-24-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got sober using just SR, so it's possible, at least for me.
We're all different tho, Suekie.

D
Old 11-24-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My opinion is yes you need a "program" but it can be as simple as a personal program that you follow. Even as simple as reading and changing your thinking. I consider a "program" to be anything that re-"programs" your thinking that got you where you don't want to be in the first place.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Of course, it is.

I always say that's it's the motivation that matters, not the program.

I used books and then found SR and have used this as my lifeline for many years.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got sober thru daily visits to this site and thru counseling. It's been working for four years now.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Used AA initially but now almost two years abstinent I almost exclusively use this site.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've only been sober for a little over 4 months, but I haven't used a program. I got sober by reading everything I could get my hands on--books, the SR boards, and the WFS boards.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I use SR as my support, but I also did a ton of reading on the subject of alcoholism. Kick the Drink by Jason Vale really helped me look at alcohol as to what it really is ~ a dangerous, poisonous, addictive drug that is destructive to anyone who imbibes it. Wish you all of the best in your sobriety!
Old 11-24-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Suekie

I strongly believe you need a recovery program. It doesnt have to be AA or other 12 step program but it needs to be able to change your behavioural patterns. You could stick with what you are doing but I would also reflect back every now and then to see if there is an improvement in your emotional and psychological well being. If not, then you might need to ramp up your program. Being a 'dry' drunk can leave you vulnerable to relapse.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me AA was the only thing that worked me because it taught me how to have a happy life without drinking
Old 11-24-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AA was placed in front of me not by choice.
I wasn't in the best frame of mind at the
time and didn't question the authorities.

I took the information fed to me each
day, going thru the motions with one
foot in front of the other, took directions,
listened, absorbed, applied one day at
a time until it began to make sense to
me.

I haven't needed to change my program
for 23 yrs now because it works for me.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did not use 12 step meetings to gain sobriety
but I personally believe in using a plan to get sober and to maintain it.

Even if it is your own personal sobriety guidebook,
it is important to commit to yourself about what your limits are
and what you'll do when they're challenged and when you're under stress.
Because that will happen.

And if need be amend it as needed.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm only using SR, check-ins w/a program buddy from another program and readings. I've been in a 12 step program before (COSA) so I know the drill. In my opinion all you need is rigorous honesty and daily check-ins with someone who understands (whether it be a group, a therapist, a website, etc.). It can be done w/out AA in my opinion.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had planned to go to AA, but as I am approaching 7 months, I haven't made it there yet. Not sure if I will because our schedules are pretty crazy, and so far I feel SR has been enough for me.

Won't rule it out if at some point I feel I need more.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I've read some of the AA book online , i've read the bible several versions , the Qu'ran , Lot's of philosophy , The dhamapada . psychology .

In the end i gave up when i'd had enough of the sickness, pain and suffering i was causing myself . It was a very joyous experience realising i need never drink again .

If i don't drink i'm sober .

If i were unhappy with my life and had questions about it then i suppose one would have to look about to have those questions answered to ones satisfaction maybe with a "program".

I don't have any questions about life, other than mundane things like where do i get some food , where is the shop , so it seems kind of useless to go looking for a spiritual experience or any instruction as to how to live ones life when i'm content .

If you have no questions you don't need answers. Earlier in the year or last year, i forget, I just dropped it all and gave my books away and thought how blue the sky was and how fascinating my fingers were. I just observe the world and kinda try to help people or at least not hinder them ..

Thats my experience with respect to programs .

m
Old 11-24-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

^^^ well put, mecanix
Old 11-24-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I feel some can make on thier own as long as they are willing to work on a lot more than just not drinking. The advantages of programs are that an awful lot of research about what does and does not work has already been done with time tested results
Old 11-24-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Have you already quit and are asking for maintenance? Or are you thinking about quitting and doing a last minute sanity check because you are afraid to pick one?

I used them all, and kept a little or a lot of each. I am pretty laid back now about sobriety. It is normal for me now. How long have you been sober? As you can see there will be lots of opposing opinions as we are all as different in our sobriety as we were when drinking. There is no magic pill or method. You just find what helps you stay sober. If you need more than add it. Here at SR is a very good place to start. It is what helped me most in my sobriety. AA was second for my first three months. I suggest you attend a meeting because then you will know what they actually do, and that you don't have to speak or do anything but listen. Do let them know you are new and get your 24 hour intent chip. Bring a one dollar bill so you can contribute to the operating expenses. Knowing that keeps you from being caught with no bills and feeling embarrassed for no good reason.

Then you will know they are a pretty nice group. And can choose to go or not based on an informed decision, not hearsay pros or cons, or your own fear.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

As much as there's strength in numbers sobriety is still a personal experience. No one can stop you from picking up that first drink but you.

If you're not drinking and honestly happy about it and feel good about where you are then the odds are you're doing what you need to at this particular point in time.

Stay vigilant and if you find yourself making excuses or rethinking if you made the right choice that might be the time to seek out different methods or things to add to your journey.

The path changes on a daily basis, be prepared. As long as you're doing that you'll be fine.

I'm glad that you're here!
Old 11-24-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I decided over two years ago that nothing was forcing me to drink and that I could choose to never take another one. Daily consumption of up to a fifth of vodka was making my life a mess, so I quit. Done. I did a whole bunch of reading, and learned that about three fourths of us who were dependent on or addicted to alcohol have quit without a formal program of any kind.

You can do it too, but you need a plan. Are you ready to make your plan about continuing to use alcohol?