I'm at a loss

Old 11-24-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm at a loss

My son is in deep trouble with alcoholism. We live in North Carolina and he lives in the Chicago IL area. He is 39 years old. In October he suffered a seizure due to alcohol withdrawal and spent 2 days in critical care in FL. He was trying to cut back because he was on vacation with us. He promised us he would check himself into a place when he got home but that hasn't happened. He says he is waiting for his insurance to activate in Jan but I found out today he still hasn't submitted all the paperwork for the coverage. He is still drinking and if he isn't he is vomiting and shaking. I am very afraid for his life. Can anyone tell me if we can have him checked into a center without his consent in IL? I am at a loss.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sadlady

I live in Illinois and my xabf, went 3 times to a rehab place. Each time he had to do it on his own. In the long run he blamed everyone around him for his reason to go; and nothing helped. He went for all the wrong reasons , cause he had no where else to go.
In the long run, he wound up in California; cause he told the world that is where he wanted to be; at my expense. So your son has to want it more than ever to get bettet.
My abf lost everything and that wasn't enough to save him; not even love.
I have delt with too much grief over it and it is so difficult to reach loved ones struggling with alcoholism.
So the answer is there are many great places to go , but he is the one to make the calls.
Prayers go out to you . I still pray for my xabf.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

IL doesn't have the "Marchman Act" or whatever it's called like you have in FL. In IL you cannot force anyone to enter rehab or confinement for alcohol and drug abuse. The only way is if he is suicidal or homocidal.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I appreciate the responses and am sorry about your your xabf teresasue. I am wondering if an attorney can help us declare him incompetent? His girlfriend is telling us that when he isn't drinking, he is constantly throwing up. She is afraid to leave him alone for fear of him having another seizure or worse. Can anyone recommend an attorney who specializes in these types of cases. I sincerely appreciate the feedback.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ima, you may try calling the Chicago police and asking them to do a "well being" check. Forcing a loved one into a rehab is much harder to actually do than people realize. Of course it shouldn't be this way.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello imataloss, and welcome to SoberRecovery,

Originally Posted by imataloss View Post
... Can anyone recommend an attorney who specializes in these types of cases. ...
The best way to get a referal is by asking the people who deal with those issues on a daily basis. That would be the Salvation Army or Catholic Charities. If you make an apointment to speak with a counselor or social worker they can then put you in touch their counterparts in the state of Illinois.

You can also ask them about other options available to you. There are many different ways to help a loved one who suffers from an addiction, but they are not the simple and obvious ones. It can get very complicates and counter-intuitive, which is why there are so many professionals in this area.

We have a lot of information in the "sticky" posts at the top of this forum You may want to spend a little time browsing those, you will get a good foundation in how the "disease" works and what you can do to help.

Mike
Moderator, SR
Old 11-24-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upsetnneedhelp View Post
IL doesn't have the "Marchman Act" or whatever it's called like you have in FL. In IL you cannot force anyone to enter rehab or confinement for alcohol and drug abuse. The only way is if he is suicidal or homocidal.
Baker Act.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

imataloss---It sounds like he needs DETOX---Esp. with his past history---he can go to an emergency room (city hospital) and get treated in their detox unit. He can be followed by a private doctor (meds, etc.) that he might need for the physical aspect of this. In Chicago area there are AA meetings 24/7.

He will have a hard time, likely, getting to a rehab center without detox and no current insurance. (Might be able to find a charitable one).

If he won't go for medical "detox" and he won't go to AA--he is likely not ready to fully embrace sobriety. Lots of people quit drinking without going to rehab, first. Rehab doesn't hurt--but it is not a magic bullet, either.

Right now--he needs a medical doctor.

dandylion
Old 11-24-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sadlady

Maybe if he goes to the ER, than the hospital staff will direct him to a rehab place after he detox s in the hospital. That was my experience in Illinois and went thru it 3 times in 6 months.