Notices

Drinking confessoon

Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking confessoon

I drank on Friday. had a terrible day at work and instead of using the tools I've used in the past I went to the liquor store, I bought a bottle and got blackout drunk.
I was worried that if I had a slip I would enjoy it and want to go back to my old lifestyle, or that I would slip into a depression because I had messed up. Thankfully I feel neither. I definitely don't want to go back to that lifestyle, I can't believe I used to put my body thru that on a regular basis....
Did it make my bad day at work any less bad? Not at all. Instead it turned what could have been a productive weekend into a hungover unproductive one, and for that I'm upset with myself.
It waS a slip on my recovery journey, it's now in the past and onward I go.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I admire your honesty. I admire Confucius too, but what he fails to say in that quote, is that each fall is harder to climb back from, than the previous one. ( at least when it comes to alcoholism).

Be careful and glad you're ok
Old 11-24-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

keep on

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-24-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I'm sorry you had a slip, Zoey, but huge congratulations to you for seeing it for what it was and getting right back on it. You'll have helped many others with your post, too
Old 11-24-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yep. Well done and just kepp on plodding x
Old 11-24-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Zoey, sorry you went through that but congrats on getting back on the horse right away. I know there are as many opinions about relapse or slipping as there are people here but it seems this strengthened your will to quit for good and also showed you that it is just as bad as it always was. That alcohol fixes nothing and, in reality, makes things worse.

That was my experience after I had six weeks of sobriety and then drank. I got blackout drunk and so freaking sick I wanted to DIE. It was way, way worse than ever before and I knew that it would never be "fun" or a relief again. This time, that helped me remember what picking up again was going to lead to. And it helped me stay sober and keep on for the past nine months. Now picking up again is the last thing on my mind when the sh!t hits the fan because that memory is burned into my awareness.

Feel better and know that this time, you've totally got this.

Thinking of you and sending you good wishes and strength.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Can't thank you enough for you honesty & courage.

Really liked when you pointed out that drinking only served to turn your weekend into a "hungover unproductive one." What a huge step to see the big-picture effects. Just like Lump said, it helped me a lot.

Keep on trucking. We're right here with you.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Zoey, you have learned from this experience and moved on.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Forgive yourself, learn from it, and move forward again.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

Sounds like little changed from the last time you drank.
'cept maybe now the real you really doesn't like anymore, probably what some refer to as 'had enough' or 'not done til yer done' , whatever I don't like claptrap slogans, except when they express truisms.
Your post sounds like it is from someone who will no longer entertain the 'myth' of drinking, as it has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no positive effect to be gained. So good for you , it sounds like you get it , sounds like you're done, had enough to Know

wish you well
Old 11-24-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome back zoey
Old 11-24-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had a slip a month ago - I think it really put me back to step 1 - that I am truly truly powerless over alcohol - so much that I drink even after I started recovery. Slips suck - it was very hard for me to go pick up a white chip, but I did. No great chasm opened up and swallowed me. No lightening strikes. Just love and support to welcome me back.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Zoey

hitting milestones can make us a bit giddy - feeling amazing one minute and drinking the next.

The important thing is you're back, you have experience of being sober, and you'll be better equipped this time.

are you planning to do anything differently at all?

D
Old 11-24-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all, I appreciate all the words of encouragement. It's been a weird day emotionally, feeling determined one minute and weak the next...
Old 11-24-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Step Four: Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

Step Four is our vigorous and painstaking effort to discover what these liabilities in each of us have been, and are. We want to find exactly how, when, and where our natural desires have warped us. We wish to look squarely at the unhappiness this has caused others and ourselves.

By discovering what our emotional deformities are, we can move toward their correction. Without a willing and persistent effort to do this, there can be little sobriety or contentment for us. Without a searching and fearless moral inventory, most of us have found that the faith which really works in daily living is still out of reach.

1981, AAWS, Inc., Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, pages 42-43