Notices

The evolution of "thank you"

Old 11-24-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Post The evolution of "thank you"

Thankfulness does not come in one size fits all. It comes in many forms and in varying degrees of intensity. It can be generic or it can be focused like a laser beam at what it is I am thankful for.

Ripping open the toy I asked for the holidays was intense. No one on earth was more thankful the year I got a race car set. I love cars.

I was never a great student and seldom studied. I was more thankful then if I came home from school and did not get hit or yelled at by my drunk father. Thankful evolved and got mature quickly when I was young.

But even still, once I left that house and moved on thankfulness never seemed shrink again.

I volunteer at the shelter dishing out food. The vast majority of folks look me in the eye and thank me. I did nothing but they express, what I believe, is a very sincere sentiment.

That is no small thank you I can assure you.

When my dealer answered the phone early in the day I was thankful.

When my only crack pipe lasted until morning before cracking and I wound up smoking from a chard of glass I was thankful.

When I was warned but not fired I was thankful.

I went and got a massage yesterday. I was walking from the car and the wind blew and I felt the cold air but was not cold. I said in my outside voice just how thankful I am.

How did I get here?

Thanksgiving and the holidays suck to be quite honest. Or they have for a decade or so.

Last December I was carted away to the hospital after my partner broke my nose in two places and my eye socket. Told the paramedics I fell into the Christmas tree.

I suppose he was thankful for not being dragged out in handcuffs.

As for me?

I am not of the mindset to be thankful by comparison. Like I am thankful this year because it sucked less than last. Or I am not as bad as that person so I am thankful.

Nope. That's not thankfulness.

I want the thankfulness I feel today to stand on its own.

I am thankful I stopped drinking.
I am thankful I don't do drugs.
I am thankful I will never allow myself to be as vulnerable again. Not by hiding but by loving my life I don't need too.
I am thankful I was blessed with a huge career boost. One that will change forever my future.
I am thankful that I can look the people at the shelter in the eye and appreciate what thank you means for them.

We are all not dissimilar. And I am thankful for that too!

I know there are gratefulness threads... But join me in saying what you might have discovered you are thankful for this year.

K
Old 11-24-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I am thankful whenever one of my SR mates clock up another sober day

m