Notices

Just Another Newb

Old 11-23-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Just Another Newb

Hello

I guess it would be polite for background info. I am 27, life a bit of a mess and a recovering alcoholic. I do not have a job--recently fired. I am back to square one on many levels.

I decied to quit about a week or two ago cold turkey and it was not a bright move. I lasted about five days before I went to the ER. I did not fit the criteria for detox so they stabilized me,gave librium, and sent home the following late morning.

I thought I was cured lol... withdrawals started again eventually... this time I gave in and drank thinking a smaller amount would help. So now went to ER again chaffeured by the ambulance. Once again told I don't meet criteria for detox as by that time the alcohol wasn't present in their little finger stick machine.
I wanted to give it. They admitted me for another reason. The tachy heart rate and have been monitoring me. I have been given ativan, then oaxezam (if spelled right) and then Ativan when I started acted "not normal" again.
They feel it is withdrawals but also underlying anxiety issue. I am agreeing. I have a journey to go through. Sobriety is one. Finally dealing with anxiety is another. While getting my life yet again.
:/

Last edited by InSilenceWeHear; 11-23-2013 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Spell Check--I should really start using it lol
Old 11-23-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome insilencewehear
Old 11-23-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

and you're not 'just another newbie' - Every newbie is special and very welcomed Thanks for joining us! Xx
Old 11-23-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome ISWH!
I cringe at ER stories like that because they remind me of my own. 2 consecutive visits and loaded up with banana bags, sugar bags, Valium, and Ativan. After each visit I felt well enough to leave on my own recognizance and drink, which I did. It finally took a third visit and me lying and saying that I was suicidal for them to admit me to the psych ward where I was able to detox under close supervision for the next 3 days.

Good wishes to you, and your newfound sobriety in spite of the ER. They do mean well, they are just not staffed and trained to be detox centers.

Peace,
Zube
Old 11-23-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome InSilenceWeHear, SR is a good place for support. It's helped a lot with my recovery. Glad you have joined us.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did contemplate telling them I was suicidal for that reason. I just didn't want to go that route but now feel like I should have :/.

I did get my very first banana bag here,life advice that whilst appreciated it was somewhat unwarranted. The questions as to why, which is something I must address in therapy, but the prodding into my life to understand the dysfunction. That will take a long while to understand...

They all mean well and have done a better job than the previous hosp, just the next step I'm unsure what it is exactly.

A friend out of state contacted AA in my state to call me. So I guess I'll eventually be going to meetings? That is a step I never thought I needed to take.

Admitting the anxiety and possibly taking meds is another step I never thought.

I'm confused and scared all at once.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Confusion and fear are part of the entry into this giant leap of faith. You've got nothing to loose by diving into the deep end of sobriety, but a ton to loose by wadding in the shallow waters of addiction!

It sound like your friend from out of state is a good one, souround yourself with supportive people and stay here, there's tons of support!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes. She is also my therapist of sorts lol. She has very long history of working with addicts and alcoholics. I appreciate what she did .

I am to discharged soon. I look like a mess. I also will bee walking home for all the world to see on this nice Saturday morning lol.

Day I'm work and pockets full of cash and now broke again. All of this is humbling, embarrassing and just eh. I keep making same mistakes. When will the end? Sorry for the rant.

Doctor said To try to not dRink and come back Monday. I don't want to come back. I want to beat this and manage from home...:/

He said to come back Monday for detox. He knows I need alcohol in my system to be accepted. I know he means well but...
Old 11-23-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When they discharge you - splash your face with water - hold your head up high and walk proudly into your new sober life
Old 11-23-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

you're not 'just another newbie' - Every newbie is special and very welcomed Thanks for joining us! Xx
I second this! Welcome!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Just keep going back. At least you are on the right track. Some medics have little time for those with alcohol issues and often roll their eyes, but some are kind and understanding. I hope you find the help you need.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I will keep trying. My first step is going home, walking my dog who is probably angry, showering and contacting that woman from AA about the meetings in my area/considering going into my walk in clinic at my doc office seeking help. They cannot detox I know lol but for the anxiety I have to start somewhere.

Whether or not today I go to a meeting, I know I will tomorrow or monday...I'm sorry to ask but for those who know. What is it like? What do I say or do lol.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not an AAer but there is a section here where I'm sure there are members who can walk you through what to expect

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-step-support/
Old 11-23-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I will go search for that info

It has been a long Time Since I was awake in time to see a sunrise. It is so Nice. Beautiful. It makes me feel as if all Will be ok.

I wish I could it every morNing and that I would feel like this every day.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's a beautiful feeling hold on to it. When I first got sober every morning I felt like Ebenezor Scrooge when he wakes from his final dream. I was so thankful to be alive alert and thankful for a new day!

You can do this I'm rooting for you!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by InSilenceWeHear View Post
I will keep trying. My first step is going home, walking my dog who is probably angry, showering and contacting that woman from AA about the meetings in my area/considering going into my walk in clinic at my doc office seeking help. They cannot detox I know lol but for the anxiety I have to start somewhere.

Whether or not today I go to a meeting, I know I will tomorrow or monday...I'm sorry to ask but for those who know. What is it like? What do I say or do lol.
I used to go. You don't have to say anything if you don't want to.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, many drinkers have an underlying anxiety problem that they have been medicating with alcohol, makes it harder to not drink, a doctor may help.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have to speak to a doctor.

Last night was difficult. I laid here shaking and just tried fighting it. I won but was so hard. I also text or call people acting weird. I am unintentionally pushing people away from me. I need to stop.

Hard does not begin to describe it. I don't really have a desire to drink but my mind says a beer or two would stop the shakes and I'm like no just tough it out.

Idk when the trembles will stop.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, I am new here also. Today is my 1st day on here. It kind of nice to see a new fresh person on here. I hope to gain and give info here on this site.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Medical help would help with bad withdrawals. Good luck, don't give in, get help.