JFK; where were you today 50 years ago?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

JFK; where were you today 50 years ago?

As I watched the proceedings from Dallas today I thought back to the day Kennedy was killed. I was in school, 6th grade. It didn't really phase me as I sat in my ghetto classroom that went wild daily. Walking home ducking the bullies that patrolled looking for their prey I got home safe, one block. The TV was blaring but supper was on time, parents glued to the TV for the rest of the evening and next day. One day no one got yelled at or beat. I have often thought back and never realized that I wasn't affected at all by the assignation like others were, all crying and frantic. Others my age tell their story and I just can't relate. I was at the same time very aware and frightened of the communist cold war nuclear threat, I was an intelligent child that read the paper daily and understood current events.

But being in such a chaotic life; the ghetto, the bullies, my dad beating me and my brothers daily, another person dying meant nothing to me. It was just another death, yes the president but life was dark and it didn't surprise me.

The trauma and significance of this day was lost on me as I found a strange eerie peace for one day.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was playing in my friend Mary Ellen's garage when my mother called her mother and told me to come home. I was three. My mother was devastated. Things were really sad at my house for weeks afterward.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gee, Kialua, maybe not that many of us are over 50!
Old 11-22-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

I wasn't alive... and no where near conception

You know what I've noticed though through my 22 years of living? I was never taught about it...ever. Not mentioned in school, never talked about by peers or parents. I don't know much about it. Seems to be a shame as he seems like a person whom many loved.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I was still 20 years away from being born. I learned about president Kennedy on my own, but I don't recall exactly when. I'm a history nerd, so I probably knew a lot more about world and U.S. history much earlier than my peers. I'm that person who searches Netflix for documentaries and watches History and National Geographic channels instead of regular weeknight tv. Although I'm thrilled that Modern Family is in USA now, so I can watch it almost any time.