Notices

Triggered when sick ?

Old 11-22-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Triggered when sick ?

I have some sort of the Clunk or the Plague. Probably just the chest cold that's running rampant but I feel blech.

And I can not believe how all I have been able to think about is drinking.

Should be the absolute last thing on my mind but sadly it's not.

Anyone else have this happen ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Yes ,
my crazy old alike brain used to reason that if i was going to feel sick i may as well have a hangover or be passed out .
I'm lucky i didn't kill myself by accident in that situation , such madness !

Keep strong omega ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-22-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me physical symptoms are much more triggering than mental symptoms, especially when I am in pain and would kill for an opiate. Or when I have some sort of sickness keeping me up at night, I'd love to just take something to knock me out and relax me.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I was actually the opposite - when I got sick with a bad cold or the flu, i actually didn't drink at all.

Bottom line though, a "trigger" is merely just a symptom of alcoholism, no matter what the source of it might be. Finding other ways to deal with the issue itself are the most important. I'm only guessing, but your urge to drink when you are sick probably is in response to you wanting to numb or escape the bad feelings you have when sick. There's lots of ways to deal with those symptoms besides drinking - OTC cold medicines, chicken soup, rest/sleep, drinking lots of ( non alcohlic ) fluids, etc..
Old 11-22-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep, I am like that too. Or was. So counter-intuitive to want a drink when you're feeling like sh*t but there you have it.

I used to wonder whether it was just an excuse, since I was home sick anyway, to have a drink or sixteen or whether I was using it to stop feeling like crap. Prolly both.

When I got a cold at the end of the summer, I also had a strange, strong craving pop up out of nowhere.

Hope you feel better soon, AO.

Love ya, sister.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's bizarre isn't it? I had an upset stomach which for normal people drinking would be the last thing on their mind but all I could think about was wine. I think it's the old desire to escape, feel better and self soothe the only way I knew how. It's mental.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I ALWAYS drank and popped pills when I was sick, I just slept through it. I actually saw being sick as a reason to stay home and drink...lovely. I was sick (as you know ) a few weeks ago and I was surprised that it didn't go to my chest like it has been for the last few years. I can tell my body is able to fight back better. I take pharmanac, an otc acetylcysteine tablets for my fibromyalgia which are supposed to be the precursor to building antioxidants...I don't know if they had anything to do with it, but I definitely didn't go to the bottom of the well this time.

Hang in there Ethel...or I will have to send Ricky over to serenade you!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've had some allergy stuff going on lately, just aleve and pseudoephedrine are fine, no wish to drink from it... But I used to....
Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I ALWAYS drank and popped pills when I was sick, I just slept through it. I actually saw being sick as a reason to stay home and drink...lovely. I was sick (as you know ) a few weeks ago and I was surprised that it didn't go to my chest like it has been for the last few years. I can tell my body is able to fight back better. I take pharmanac, an otc acetylcysteine tablets for my fibromyalgia which are supposed to be the precursor to building antioxidants...I don't know if they had anything to do with it, but I definitely didn't go to the bottom of the well this time.

Hang in there Ethel...or I will have to send Ricky over to serenade you!
Ya know what ? That's EXACTLY what I need !!!

Babalooooooo !!!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've also been fighting the plague or clunky junk in my chest for the past couple of weeks. And yes, I am in the camp whose mind wanders to, 'well, I don't feel like doing anything anyway so how about a bottle of wine...'

I ALWAYS drank when sick. List at the store included gatorade, soup, cough drops and wine. And cigarettes.

But no drinking for me or you tonight, AO! Hot bath with eucalyptus epsom salts, candles, and chai tea sounds good
Old 11-22-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My trigger is after I start feeling better. Somehow I want to be rewarded for having endured discomfort.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Totally get it - can't count the number of times I drank MORE when laid up with the plague. Ah, the [not so] wonderful madnesses of the alcoholic / addict.

Hope you feel better soon!
x
Vic
Old 11-22-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
I've also been fighting the plague or clunky junk in my chest for the past couple of weeks. And yes, I am in the camp whose mind wanders to, 'well, I don't feel like doing anything anyway so how about a bottle of wine...'

I ALWAYS drank when sick. List at the store included gatorade, soup, cough drops and wine. And cigarettes.

But no drinking for me or you tonight, AO! Hot bath with eucalyptus epsom salts, candles, and chai tea sounds good
Sounds like a plan girlfran. Funny thing is I'm so ookey feeling its almost like I'm buzzed anyway. My head is funky, my body is wonky.

I'm a cheap date for sure.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

'Ookey, funky and wonky'.....sounds like me on an ordinary day anyway :-)
Old 11-22-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

YES!! I have drank heavily through bronchitis before. Oh, and chain smoked the whole time too. I hear that it is possible to get through ANYTHING without drinking. I'm trying it. Hope you feel better. Hang in there!
Old 11-22-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yup, I completely relate. I never stopped drinking when sick. It was almost better... then I'd be buzzed and not care. Also, being sick and drinking, everyone just thought it was the illness talking...
Old 11-22-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am glad you brought this up, AO. I have two raging ear infections and I am on three different medications for them and I am having cravings to drink like I haven't had in a long time. Could be related . . . . so messed up!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I am glad you brought this up, AO. I have two raging ear infections and I am on three different medications for them and I am having cravings to drink like I haven't had in a long time. Could be related . . . . so messed up!!!
I know, right ? It's like my body thinks when it feels crappy it must be time to medicate. With booze.

I haven't had cravings like this since this last quit. It's all I'm thinking about. Constantly. I'm not giving in, but it's a real battle for sure.

What's so strange to me is how it's making me believe I will feel BETTER !!! All I can remember is the good. None of the hell, fire and brimstone.

SMDH
Old 11-22-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know. We really, really need hangovers, headaches (to add to the inflamed sinuses that I already have), disturbed sleep, anxiety, medications rendered either useless or lethal due to mixage with alcohol, and guilt to add to the mix. Right? Makes perfect sense . . . ERRR.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post

What's so strange to me is how it's making me believe I will feel BETTER !!! All I can remember is the good. None of the hell, fire and brimstone.

SMDH
Perhaps this might refresh your memory

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-alcohell.html

Or look back to some of your earlier posts and threads. All that bad stuff is literally one slight move of the hand and one swallow away for all of us. I go back and read my day 1 posts quite often, really helps keep things in check.