Notices

Official last day at work

Old 11-22-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Official last day at work

So today is the official 'last day' of my current job. I'm about to head in to meet a colleague to hand back my laptop and security pass. I've been signed off since August with depression and eventually chose not to go back so I knew this was coming. I'd accepted it and become really positive about the decision over the last few weeks and know it was the right thing for me to do. This morning it feels like a big deal again all of a sudden.

I know in myself I've made a lot of positive changes over the last 3 months (not least the time spent teetotal) but I would just love a day of normality in my head sometime soon. I'm not asking for a vacation, or even a long weekend, just a day! And just to be 100% clear this normal day does not and would not include any booze!!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best wishes - it will be a happy and sad day for you but you will get through it; just remember to hug folks like you mean it!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I was on stress leave from my job when I quit drinking I decided not to go back to it. I feel like I made the right choice for me and I really do not regret it. I wasn't happy in the job and I knew deep down I would use the job as an excuse to drink again.

You will feel normal again. You really will. I made lots of changes in the beginning of my journey and it just takes a bit of time to get use to it until it does become and feel normal.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope it works out okay for you. What do you have planned next?
Old 11-22-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys. Myth, I've got a new career idea that I want to pursue and I've spent the last couple of weeks doing a bit of research on what that will involve and been getting my CV into order. I'm getting ready to send it out to the big wide world on Monday and see what happens!
Old 11-22-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like the start of a great new chapter nightswimming

D
Old 11-22-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Back home with a plastic bag containing the contents of my desk. Had a walk around town afterwards but was feeling really irritable and angry. I think if someone had breathed loudly in my direction I would have killed them so decided to retreat home. I know this decision is for the best but today is a bit hard. Going to crack open a can of Coke Zero(!), a bar of chocolate and watch some crap telly for a few hours. Tomorrow is another day!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan Nightswimming! Well done. x
Old 11-22-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post
Thanks for the support guys. Myth, I've got a new career idea that I want to pursue and I've spent the last couple of weeks doing a bit of research on what that will involve and been getting my CV into order. I'm getting ready to send it out to the big wide world on Monday and see what happens!
OMG you are my hero! I don't know what led you to make the job change, but I have been mulling over my own happiness and my own ability to make changes. You are brave and amazing for doing it! Oh yeah - and you are SOBER!

I hope you keep posting your progress, your ups and downs and everything, because it is my day dream to just walk away from my job.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are changing the direction of your life all round. Well done on 3 months that is great. Best of luck with your new career , I think many people wish they could do what you are doing.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the messages guys. Feeling back to my 'normal' self again today. Pleased that I didnt even consider drinking as an option for making myself feel better. I feel like my brain is starting to 'deprogram' itself a bit but definitely not going to get complacent.