Notices

another sober stretch ruined...whats wrong with me?!?!

Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy another sober stretch ruined...whats wrong with me?!?!

Sh1t.

should be 7 wks on Sunday.

Since Aug 31st ive drank less than a handful of times.... so why can't I keep a grip on it, whats wrong with me.

idiot.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Just keep trying. Don't be hard on yourself and you will get there in the end. xx
Old 11-21-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You will one of these times. (So will I). Each time we learn more and more about ourselves.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

what are you doing for your recovery Lorelei?

D
Old 11-21-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I know you seek counseling help, have you considered organized meetings like AA/NA, or any of the non-12 step meetings? Sometimes we need more accountability and support that only regular meetings/conferences/sessions can provide.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't tried AA... I think I do need to be accountable.

For now i just feel terribly disappointed and fed up with myself. X
Old 11-21-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't look at it as a sober stretch ruined, look at it as 7 weeks of healthy sobriety. Just keep stitching them together, and learning to recognize and deal with your triggers and one of these days you will just keep it going. And try not to be so hard on yourself, 7 weeks is a real accomplishment Lorelei.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I agree with Scott, face to face support from our peers can be extremely valuable. Why not give AA or Women For Sobriety a sincere try if you have meetings in your area? You have nothing to lose.
In the interim, pick yourself back up, dust yourself off and see you at the 24 hours club
**{hugs}}
Old 11-21-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeap "healthy sobriety" is a good way of looking at it, put it this way, would you have drank more in that time period if you hadn't of been trying to be sober? probably yes! and so did you cut down on your drinking in that time period compared to previous years? probably yes! . . . and so all that is needed is some tweaking to make it to total sobriety!!
Old 11-21-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

thats a lot of green on the calendar , you can feel rightly proud of that achievement .

When you were learning to ride a bike didn't you wobble ? or fall off and take a tumble ? Dealing with life sober is a "life skill" and needs practice, perseverance, motivation and luck .. I think you've done well , now prove it by doing some more , maybe hang with others who seem proficient .
Its a broad highway we're on and you got miles and miles ahead of you , don't throw your sober bike away just coz you fell off, get back on and come join us *ring ring*

m
Old 11-21-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA member

Sorry to hear you are struggling lorelei.

I think you need some other support as others have suggested.

Don't beat yourself up,start over again,you will get there.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lorelei

Look back over the past 3 months and compare the frequency and volume of your drinking with the prior 3 months. I am pretty sure you will notice a downward trend in your drinking.

That's called progress, not perfection !

Its important to recognize that you have an addiction so have compassion... for yourself. It is a struggle. Sometimes the addiction overcomes us. Accept that but also have faith in yourself that if you never give up, then eventually you will gain a long period in sobriety, maybe forever !

Hang in there young Miss !!
Old 11-21-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You're not an idiot, you're an alcoholic.
Try AA. It worked for me when nothing else would.
Keep your chin up, kiddo.

Zube
Old 11-21-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
whats wrong with me.
It could be that you've got some things in common with 99.9% of the alcohol addicts on this forum.

It's hard. Let's struggle mightily. We can do this!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
I haven't tried AA... I think I do need to be accountable.

For now i just feel terribly disappointed and fed up with myself. X

Don't give up! Most of us haven't been successful doing it on our own, I need to be in a program for continued success.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I started my journey on September 2nd and have had 6 missed days to slips since. So far, November has been a solid stretch. It took those slips for me to learn what to watch for and now I feel I have a much better handle on things. You will get there as well! If you need additional support, go for it!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Many of us think that at some point we will be able to drink like a "normal" person. That is the thought that took me out 3 times (following years of sobriety each time). It didn't work then, and it doesn't work now. I am on day 38 after 3 years of trying moderation in my drinking. Ha! Although I was successful at moderating a few times, I must admit that the majority of times....1 was too many and 1000 was not enough. Hang in there and don't be too hard on yourself. Get some support as the others have said...These days there are many options. Take care....
Old 11-21-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can relate. For years I've been really serious about sobriety, and once had 3 months sober but decided to "try out how it is like to drink" and the feeling was disappointment and a devastated feeling... for a while..

The thing is... it can be done. When you get past the initial days, say 3-6 first days it will get tremendously easier for the time being. And for me each time in that beginning phase I've had the "pink cloud"... a strange feeling of positivity and joy for "another chance". I think it is one of nature's helpful things to make sobriety possible for a human being.

Anyway... you can do it. Just don't beat yourself up for it, because I think everyone here knows what it is like to start over... Good luck.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies I'm honestly so fed up of myself. I want it to stop.

Thanks Sr xx
Old 11-21-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You can do it, Lorelei. Think about all of the kind, supportive things you say to others on this forum, and then try to say them to yourself. I think I remember you posting that you had 18 months before joining SR. That is amazing! You will get back on track and find your sober groove again.