Tulips.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tulips.

I woke up to Tulips this morning. In my favorite color, yellow. They didn't really make me smile but in my mind I thought "well that was a nice thing to do".

He's never gotten me flowers before. He didn't come in and bug me last night, I heard him come home, and heard the footsteps of him around the other side of the house, I could tell he wasn't going to attempt to come in and see me, I was glad. I felt a little bad for him. But so happy he didn't come in the bedroom. I didn't really care about the tulips but I thought it was sweet. No I don't think $7.00 tulips solve anything. I'm just sharing.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tulips are my favorite flower! I like how you are not over analyzing any of that, just enjoying your pretty flowers.

And ((hugs)) to you too!!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tulips are lovely. My favorites are the first ones in the spring.

I hope I'm not being a jerk by saying this, but this strikes me a A#1 manipulation. It may not have made you smile, but the intention is for him to soften your heart after all his bad deeds were done. Are they a smokescreen? I hope not, but that's what it feels like after the events leading up to your separation. It looks like he's going to work to un-separate you.

The last time my AH got me flowers was when I was pregnant and he disappeared over Mother's Day on a bender. I was sitting inside when saw him drive up in his car, obviously drunk, walk up to my front door, drop off a styrofoam cup filled with wildflowers, and get back in his car and drive away.

Glass half full, glass half empty. I could try to look at the bright side and say, oh, at least he thought about me, maybe he's sorry, or I could honor my feelings about the real issues at hand -- our failing finances, the reality that I was about to become a single mom to a newborn, his neverending relapses and completely unacceptable behavior -- and look past the flowers to the reality in front of me. He would get sober, he would stay drunk, the behavior stayed the same. I was left holding the bag for every household responsibility, and flowers were supposed to make me suck it up and accept more abuse.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I honestly don't think he's that smart.

He is in outpatient therapy, he is going to meetings, he was in rehab for 30 days and he went 100 willingly. He's still an ass. I don't know if we will make it or not but if I were him, I'd be buying me flowers too and a whole lot more.

You aren't a jerk for saying what you said at all. I feel like defending him just a little though. I don't know...

Trust me I don't love the tulips at all.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ok fine I might like the tulips a little.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ha. No shame!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You know what is better than yellow tulips?.......Yellow tulips combined with constructive ACTION!!

dandylion
Old 11-21-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My xAH would act nice like this sometimes too. In hindsight I believe in part he was trying to be nice but also had ulterior motives in that he wanted me to say "it's ok & I'm not mad" and then all would be ok (for him). Within a day or two of his "nice" gesture if I hadn't responded w gratitude and made him feel it was all better, nasty petulant man was back. N

I hope its different for you. I really do. I hope he's different.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by meggem View Post
gotta give praise where there is praise to be given.