Notices

in the trenches of night one

Old 11-21-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

in the trenches of night one

I'm in the middle of night one, just past the first full 24 hrs. I'm tired but can't sleep. As the clock starts moving past midnight, I start to panic. What if I don't sleep? About 10 minutes ago, I actually started considered going out and getting something to drink, "Just enough to get to sleep." But I fought through it and I think I'm back on track. I know it's not true, but I start to think if this is what not drinking is like, then screw it. I know it gets better, right?
Old 11-21-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep going sober...

You will sleep eventually.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

It gets better with time ..
2 days was good , 2 weeks a lot better , 2 months a real change , 2 years you won't believe the difference

The early days aren't a joy ride so it's worthwhile only doing them once by sticking with sobriety .

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-21-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It does get better

I think you have to plan for a few unsettled nights - but the insomnia fades, honestly

D
Old 11-21-2013, 01:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I feel you, brother. I have trouble sleeping, too. Usually 5 or 6 nights after "day one" is what it takes for me to get back to a normal sleep pattern. It can be tough because not sleeping is so frustrating and also impairs judgment.

There's no way around it though. Hunker down and persevere. Find something to read. It sucks, but it's survivable.

You can do this.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on 24 hours .

yes it really does get better. The beginning is always the worst. Your body needs time to heal and to adjusts itself again. Keep strong and remember that you CAN do this!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are right that it does suck. But don't give in. Get a few days behind you and I promise you will feel much better! This is such a great gift you are giving yourself to live a sober life...you have such wonderful things ahead of you!!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

The good thing about sober insomnia is that you can at least make it productive time. I don't fight it, but just get up and start doing something. Reading a book is probably the fastest way to get back to sleep.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, it does get better. I know the panic of not being asleep when I know I should be, but eventually you get tired enough that you will sleep. After a bit of time the issue generally resolves on its own.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

what Dee said - it gets better I know a lot of people say that over and over- but you have to remember that it will pass. Have to get some serious sober time between you and bottle before that crap gets out of your system and your body can function normally
Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It stinks to not sleep. Way to hang in there. I have the book Living Sober and there is a section about not being able to sleep and the fear of not being able to sleep. It gives helpful Pointers about this and other topics. One thing the book said is to consider that no one ever died from not sleeping but people have died from drinking.

Stay strong.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

no one ever died from not sleeping but people have died from drinking.
It's a good point, plus after a few days of not sleeping, something has to give and the body will eventually give in to sleeping, it's the persevering through the sleepless days at the start that is the toughest part.