Notices

Am I still allowed in 'Newcomers' ?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I still allowed in 'Newcomers' ?

I last posted in April 2013. Sadly and embarrassingly I have failed at recovery. Looking at my old posts, I realize how great I was feeling after quitting for a few days. I made it two weeks before I predictably relapsed into my former behavior. I somehow convinced myself that I obviously didn't really have a problem at all. Logically I KNOW that to be untrue, then as well as now. I am embarrassed and angry at myself for regressing.

Well, now I'm starting recovery again. This is day 3, although I'm still very much feeling the effects of withdrawal. Crazy, nervous dreams. Hot/cold/hot/cold. Shaking hands. Insomnia. It's horrible but I know it will eventually subside.

I feel so bad that I allowed myself to slide back into the haze. I'm pretty discouraged but not entirely hopeless. I've spent hours reading similar stories here and there are certainly quite a few sources of inspiration to be found here as well. It makes it seem far less hopeless when you know you're not the only one.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't see why you can't be in newcomers or anywhere else you feel like posting
Day 3 is a tough one, but, hang in there and in a few short days you'll feel a LOT better

Good to have you with us Xx
Old 11-20-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

everyone is always welcome here, haveaproblem

glad you're back

D
Old 11-20-2013, 10:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back...good to see you.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can post anywhere as you like, as often as you like. We all inspire and support each other. I am afraid I'm going to ask the question which usually asks people who've had a relapse of sort or another. What are you going to differnetly this time?

For me, it was being a lot more thorough and organised about seeking outside support, including on this forum, on a daily basis. That made a huge differnence.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I joined in 2008 and i still post 98% in the newcomers section

Welcome back!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Welcome back haveaproblem. Please dont feel discouraged. We have all been where you are and I don't htink there is anyone here who can't admit that they tried to tell themselves they didn't really have a problem. I've done it and so have countless others.

I would quit for 2 weeks, start again and quit for 2 weeks and start again etc, etc. I just wish I would have had this place to come to when I first tried quitting.

The important thing is, is that you are back here and trying again. Focus on what kept you going the 2 weeks you were sober. There are always positives which we tend to forget about. Sometimes when we relapse I think we focus too much on the negative.

and congrats on day 3!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

welcome back , never to late to start again nice to have you along

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-21-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been there several times. Relapse is a part of my story five times over. Welcome back to the road of happy destiny.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back
Old 11-21-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So glad you are here! We all help each other no matter what stage of sobriety we are in. I am on 3 weeks sober and I find that the posts from newcomers help me just as much as the ones who have been sober a long time.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Newcomers is where most people post, so thats where everyone stays at.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

I never relapsed, I just never quit for good before
Old 11-21-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This time is different for me because I work on my sobriety daily. I come to SR frequently, I challenge the addict voice when it rears it's ugly head, and constantly think about how amazing I feel. Before, I just experienced sobriety. I never really put any effort into it besides just trying not to drink. There are many facets to sobriety, not just quitting drinking. It is physical and mental.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Everyone (except rare few) go back to experiment or don't fully come to grips how serious the problem is. Its a hard reality to swallow - that one is an addict. Glad you are back. Don't view it has such a horrible thing, learn from it - do something different. Glad you came back - that's a step in the right direction.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

back!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You inspire me to stay sober! The further you get into recovery, the further you are away from those horrible first days, weeks, and months. At 7 months sober, I can still remember the bad times clearly, but it helps to have a reminder of what it's like to start all over again. Thank you for your post! As someone has already said, it does get better. It takes a lot of time and patience but it will eventually get better.