Notices

Kava/Kratom

Old 11-20-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kava/Kratom

I am a recovering addict and alcoholic and recently got some reassurance that I would abuse any and everything that COULD be abused.

I was having a stressful day, not long ago, and I stopped at a nearby strip mall to order some Chinese take-out. After I placed my order the man at the counter told me it would be ready in 15 minutes.

On the way in I noticed a store, next to the Chinese place that was called "Kavasutra" and it piqued my interest. I went to the store and asked the person behind the counter what they had to offer. He explained to me what Kava and Kratom were and I decided to order the strongest variety of both. I explained to him that I was an addict and that I was concerned about using this stuff but I very quickly accepted this 22-yr-olds declaration that these were "ok" and "safe"......good enough for me!

I ended up intoxicated on these two "herbs" that night and was back there early the next two days and spent about $250 on this stuff in just a couple days. I was able to avoid drinking alcohol and using my drug of choice but I'm not sure how.

I never managed to pick up the Chinese food and I missed two days of meetings for the first time in two months.

For me, anything that takes me even the slightest bit away from my reality is going to be abused and can kill me.

I did meet several alcoholics and addicts there, over a couple days time, that were convinced that this stuff was "ok" for them and was keeping them sober.

I understand how they may have felt that way but couldn't, after my experience, see how that could really be possible.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Only second hand experience with threads like yours - altho back in the day I once did drink a drink made from Kava root by some Pacific Island friends - it was disgusting. Not sure if it did anything, cos I was already orbiting the planet....

Thanks for sharing tho - glad you're ok

D
Old 11-20-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Kava is a native plant in my neck of the woods.

There are kava "bars" here. It was part of my early relapsing. Likewise I'm another person who has to stay away from EVERYTHING mind altering, with the exception of coffee.

Some studies indicate that kava a bad for your liver. I'm not sure about that.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I looked it up and Kava is hard on the liver.