Notices

~Ali42~

Old 06-10-2004, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

~Ali42~

I tried to write out the most comprehensive list of how I have achieved my own sobriety. It doesn't mean it is the only way or the best way, I am only sharing what has worked for me. I have tried to keep it simple,have not listed it all in entirety, working on it though! I had a hard time focusing at first...simple is a good thing in my life now! I always complicated things before, made myself more mountains than was necessary. Anyways...hope this helps. Hang in there...

I follow the Marine saying Improvise, Adapt and Overcome...and also have made an acronym(think that's what it is called) HEAL.

H-Have hope and faith. Just by registering on here you have shown hope, and shown faith by posting and asking for help. Don't give up.

E-Examine belief structure. What needs changing? What needs growth?

A- Act as if the results you desire were already in your life. Don't use for one day, you have acted as if you were sober..and you are! You want health? Eat fresh fruit and vegetables, drink 8 glasses of water...just for today...you have acted upon health and in time will have health....haven't been to the doctor for a check up? Make the appoinment...

L-Let Go and Let God...This one is so important. Say the Serenity Prayer morning and night, write in a journal morning and night what expectations can you release to feel freer and more relaxed, more confident?

The Improvise, Adapt, & Overcome I sort of categorized as follows...( I have much work to do on all these suggestions, I hope to use them one day in my own practice as a drug & alcohol counselor) Bear with me....LOL..you're lucky I am not getting long winded! Drive a person to tears with that....

Okay....
Improvise: Replace obsession for pills with healthy intake of spiritual, mental and physical foods. These can vary according to what works for you, prayer, meditation, diet, exercise, all of these, so important but design them any way you like. An important part of this stage is to replace all that you don't want with all that you do. Before this stage can be properly initiated I had to question how badly did I want to quit? Did I believe quitting would improve my life? Was I doing it for myself, or someone else? Keeping a journal is so helpful in identifying and exploring these issues. You will also be able to track your progress and see the tangible results in your life easier with the reminder of how far you have come.

Adapt-Start the actual work of replacing all that is unhealthy and impeding progress with all that will nourish and support you in the healthy role you are choosing. Take that walk after supper, read that spiritual book, meditate before getting out of bed, change the friends if they have been holding you back with their using and lifestyle, change your schedule if that helps, again, write in a journal, explore all the ways you can choose health.

Overcome-Keep going, make it past the threshold by living only one day at a time, don't give up...seek out all the support you can...whether it be 12 step groups, church groups, close and trusted friends, counselling, rehab...whatever it takes to support your health and recovery..DO IT! Jump in with both feet and hit the ground running...YOU can do it. You have the ultimate say over your life. YOU are the author of your life...What will be the title, and the chapter headings?

I will check with ya later my friend. Like I said these are just suggestions that have helped me open up to the miracle that is life...I hated life for so long, wanted to love it, but fear and insecurity and the lies of those little white pills nearly took this life. I have never ever known the hope and peace I know now, I know in my heart I can endure and overcome any obstacle or challenge that comes my way. NOT so long ago I crouched in the shadows of my doubts, betrayed by all I feared and felt unsure of.

This recovery business isn't as hard or as simple as we expect in my experience. But I am a firm believer that our perceptions, our thoughts create our reality. We cannot undo all the damage in an instant...but peace we can have through any trial or storm.....believe. We have to believe. I find what I seek, I accept what I can no longer fight. Gets easier then.

((((((((Warmest Hugs)))))))))
Old 06-10-2004, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Well done Tam!
Old 06-10-2004, 06:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by 2stop
This recovery business isn't as hard or as simple as we expect in my experience. But I am a firm believer that our perceptions, our thoughts create our reality. We cannot undo all the damage in an instant...but peace we can have through any trial or storm.....believe. We have to believe. I find what I seek, I accept what I can no longer fight. Gets easier then.
Tammie.
Wow. Thank you for sharing that.
Printer locked and loaded. I'm keeping it!
I just highlighted the last paragraph 'cause it's words crafted by a wordsmith and it's beautiful.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

cool beans tamster! :boat <--- smooth sailing