Notices

honesty

Old 11-20-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

honesty

"I know the biggest word for me in AA is 'honesty.' I don't believe this program would work for me if I didn't get honest with myself about everything. Honesty is the easiest word for me to understand because it is the exact opposite of what I've been doing
all my life. Therefore, it will be the hardest to work on. But I will never be totally honest -- that would make me perfect, and none of us can claim to be perfect. Only God is.
If I work on it every day, it will be easier to be honest with myself.
Then getting and staying honest with other people will come automatically.
I know I will be grateful for a chance to make amends to everybody I have hurt in the past."
Alcoholics Anonymous, "Big Book", pg.482
Old 11-20-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree. Honesty with ourselves is key. I used to think I did not lie. In fact I loathed people that did. I felt offended when I found out that someone lied to me.

Now I may not have straight out lied but I lied by omission or told have truths or half stories to try and manipulate a situation. I might not have said straight out that it was green but I mixed the blue and the yellow. In the end you get green. Still a lie.

I think as time goes by our honesty with ourselves and others changes. The more we become aware and climb out of the fog, the more honest we become.