What kind of jobs can they get?

Old 11-19-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What kind of jobs can they get?

My AS has severe back problems and might one day be able to be on disability. It is sad because he is only 32 and when he is sober (he is a binge type drug user and can be sober for quite sometime before bingeing again) one of his strong points is that he is a hard and reliable worker.

How do addicts with records and not many skills find work? Who hires them? My son is now on probation for 3 years for cocaine possession.

I can't imagine many employers would give him a second look and he probably could do something.

Kari
Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Your son would have a difficult time getting a job in my world -- the DoD. And that's because most of us have to get a security clearance.

I do know of people who have tried drugs without a record and/or a conviction who have been able to get a clearance. But once there's a conviction, it becomes very difficult.

I hope your son stays on the right path, and I hope that you're doing as well as you can be.

ZoSo
Old 11-19-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He can get a job, many companies ask for the reason for the conviction and if it is not related to selling drugs or a crime of violence or honesty issue, they would overlook.
It isn't as easy of course, but they can do it.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are plenty with records who are working. I have friends with records who have been able to successfully find employment. One of them works as a manager at a coffee shop. Sometimes probation stipulations require that you work. He may be able to find work through his probation officer. My stepdaughter worked after being in jail. She worked at restaurants where they don't serve alcohol, and at fast food. Unfortunately, she went back to drug using, stealing, and living on the streets.

Also, where I live, there are former convicts who own businesses that hire other former convicts. I've had them do work for me. It is possible!!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad this question was asked. I've been wondering the same thing about my AD. She's in jail awaiting sentencing on 5 misdemeanors. She's only 20, has never held a job and no skills. I'm wondering what her future will hold. Hopefully probation or drug court will force her to seek employment.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluebelle View Post
There are plenty with records who are working. I have friends with records who have been able to successfully find employment. One of them works as a manager at a coffee shop. Sometimes probation stipulations require that you work. He may be able to find work through his probation officer. My stepdaughter worked after being in jail. She worked at restaurants where they don't serve alcohol, and at fast food. Unfortunately, she went back to drug using, stealing, and living on the streets.

Also, where I live, there are former convicts who own businesses that hire other former convicts. I've had them do work for me. It is possible!!
That sounds encouraging. I do imagine the probation officer will be wanting him to work.

Thanks!

Kari
Old 11-19-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jend719 View Post
I'm glad this question was asked. I've been wondering the same thing about my AD. She's in jail awaiting sentencing on 5 misdemeanors. She's only 20, has never held a job and no skills. I'm wondering what her future will hold. Hopefully probation or drug court will force her to seek employment.
I was just Googling it today. It sounds like Goodwill Industries is a place to check out.

I bet the probation officer would have a list of possible places to check into.

Kari
Old 11-19-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh yeah and someone told me that the Salvation Army has a drug treatment program and that they are sent out to work during the day and stay at the SA at night. That sounds like a great option to me. It seems very religion oriented which isn't a plus in our situation but one can't be choosy with charity.

Kari
Old 11-19-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My son does not have a record but because he relapsed two weeks ago is afraid to apply where he will be drug tested (many do this now and where he wants to apply they even test hair). State jobs you have to know someone high up which we do not. Because he has very little college back round and does not work in restaurants, he has no idea where he could work. Right now he works PT for a friend but he would really like to get an apprenticeship for either plumbing, electrical,etc but those are also very hard to get. I know of some who found work in construction so that may be an option for your son as well. Very good question!
Old 11-19-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about a job right now. You are putting the cart before the horse.

I'd worry about him getting clean - or that's what he should be worried about. That's a full-time job, and can be for at least a year after getting sober. There's unemployment, social services, food stamps (SNAP) to help with that. It's not a great life but it's survival.

Often, when an addict/alcoholic gets sober and things get REAL like that, they will develop quite a lot of skills, and will find work. They will not become CEO of Chase Bank overnight. This is a small, step-by-step thing that can take a long time.

Don't worry about what's going to happen years from now, especially when just one day of sobriety is a huge victory

EDIT: I forgot to add, there totally IS hope, and he'll be just fine and will certainly get a job! Perhaps you are just interested in chatting about the future as opposed to worrying about the present. Please dont' read too deeply into my post, I was trying to be "no-nonsense". But you are not the addict, you are a concerned parent! So, I say to you: he'll be cool, don't worry. Hope he gets well
Old 11-19-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bigsombrero, thanks SO MUCH for that because I needed to hear this myself. As a parent I feel we just want them to put this bad part of their lives behind them and have a nice life with a decent job and be, well, normal. It doesn't work that way though does it? I have a good friend who said we all want good things for our kids but God's plan is not always our plan and it isn't up to US. Our kids need to find their own way but it sure is hard sitting on the sides line watching! Sorry if I hijacked Karisue but I sure do relate to this thread! My husband and I were just discussing this an hour ago because our son lives with us and we wonder is he ever going to get a FT job???? Our timeline seems to be much quicker than his. Maybe that isn't fair. Who knows. There isn't a guidebook to tell you whats right and what isn't.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool. Yeah, as a recovering alcoholic there are so many pressures: how not to drink, how to date, how to stay clean, AA-or-not, how to react with your old friends, etc....meanwhile you can feel your parents squirming in the background trying their best to hold back on asking you "SO HOW ABOUT THAT JOB ALREADY??"

And you know they mean well, and only want the best for you...but you can feel it. Especially if we've taken a particularly rough turn and fallen from former glory. It's not just the parents - it's everyone's assumption that once you've kicked the drink, everything will go back to normal.

For someone like myself, this was not true, at all. I had to completely reorganize my life. My philosophies. My day-to-day routine, my likes and dislikes. Everything changed. And that meant my career, also.

It took me 1.5 years to find a "normal", full-time job again. In my old life, I was a high-level ad sales manager with a fancy office downtown. In my new life, I work for a software company that helps K-8th graders and teachers learn math! I make about 40% of what I used to make, and I am quite happy about it.

As a parent, it's important to remember that for many of us, we are sweeping the slate clean and starting life over. You might even see it in the little things, like your son or daughter doesn't want that piece of pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving. It might make you feel sad, but it's just because they are working through changes, big and small. But they love you, and you love them, and everything will be alright. With time, you will like most of the changes, I think.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Big. He has relapsed once already. Said it was just one pill and now its maybe 4 and some weed. My husband cannot grasp that this is an addiction. Yes it sure is hard watching and worrying constantly if he is going to relapse again. He acts like we are major PIA's if we ask any questions yet we are great if we are fulfilling a need. Feels very one sided. He has been home since September and had over 100 days sober. He wont go to meetings because he feels they do nothing for him. We do not understand him and wonder how badly he wants to work to stay sober and if he takes recovery seriously. It scares the heck out of us and we know we cannot control it nor will we enable. We live on pins and needles. Yeah, it sucks.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Rankin has a list of companies that employ felons.
Jobs for Felons: List of Companies That Hire Felons

They can improve their chances by being bonded by the Federal Bonding Program. Restrictions vary by State I believe, so you would have to see if they would be eligible.

Also, check with the Department of Labor and ask about companies that participate in the Work Opportunity Tax Credit program where employers receive tax credit for hiring felons.

Most college grads are not going into the construction trades which means there is always going to be a need for HVAC, electricians, plumbers, masons, carpenters, etc. I know in my state(s) the Unions hire felons for these positions, the pay and bennies are good, but they have to pay their dues and start at the bottom.

Edited to add: Also, check with the temp agencies like Kelly Services or other...well...somewhat sketchy temp agencies that hire day labor.

And, at first they sometimes have to take what they can get to build up a employment record and demonstrate work ethic before finding something they actually want to do.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needingabreak View Post
We do not understand him and wonder how badly he wants to work to stay sober and if he takes recovery seriously.
It is hard to understand. The addict often does not understand himself, either. How scary is that? The addicted mind gets locked in a terrible place. In my case, I had started drinking right when I woke up, every day, knowing full well that this kind of behavior would kill me. I would think "this is insane" as I was pouring the drink. But you can't stop yourself, it's frightening. I was rushed to the hospital twice in an ambulance, and had 4 seizures. But it didn't matter, I drank drank drank and cared about nothing else in the world. Very scary.

On the bright side, we do make it out of there! I think your son will too, he sounds like he's in good hands. Here's hoping he can take recovery seriously, and get out to live on his own, one can build great strength in being independently sober.

As for the OP, I am sure your son will find gainful employment. Look at Martha Stewart
Old 11-19-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needingabreak View Post
My son does not have a record but because he relapsed two weeks ago is afraid to apply where he will be drug tested (many do this now and where he wants to apply they even test hair). State jobs you have to know someone high up which we do not. Because he has very little college back round and does not work in restaurants, he has no idea where he could work. Right now he works PT for a friend but he would really like to get an apprenticeship for either plumbing, electrical,etc but those are also very hard to get. I know of some who found work in construction so that may be an option for your son as well. Very good question!
Well he can't do construction type work because of his back.

Kari
Old 11-19-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KariSue View Post
Well he can't do construction type work because of his back.

Kari
Your son can't do construction work because he is an addict/alcoholic.

And, also his back.

I will bow out to the F&F people now. I know you can find peace. Be well.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Rankin has a list of companies that employ felons.
Jobs for Felons: List of Companies That Hire Felons

They can improve their chances by being bonded by the Federal Bonding Program. Restrictions vary by State I believe, so you would have to see if they would be eligible.

Also, check with the Department of Labor and ask about companies that participate in the Work Opportunity Tax Credit program where employers receive tax credit for hiring felons.

Most college grads are not going into the construction trades which means there is always going to be a need for HVAC, electricians, plumbers, masons, carpenters, etc. I know in my state(s) the Unions hire felons for these positions, the pay and bennies are good, but they have to pay their dues and start at the bottom.

Edited to add: Also, check with the temp agencies like Kelly Services or other...well...somewhat sketchy temp agencies that hire day labor.

And, at first they sometimes have to take what they can get to build up a employment record and demonstrate work ethic before finding something they actually want to do.
Wow, that is an impressive list. I'm going to bookmark it.

Thank you so much!

Kari
Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Your son can't do construction work because he is an addict/alcoholic.

And, also his back.

I will bow out to the F&F people now. I know you can find peace. Be well.
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

He has been an addict since he was a teenager (although we didn't know it then) and has held jobs for years except after he hurt his back. Well actually even after he hurt his back. He worked until his back made him quit as he was doing physical labor (which he loved, btw).

You don't have to bow out. I like hearing the opinions of those who have been there.

Thank you, Kari
Old 11-19-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My son as a convicted felon never had a chance. The moment they saw he checked "felony conviction' on his application he was done. I suppose he was going to work as a bouncer in an after hours club but was then arrested. Society is very hesitant on giving convicted felons another chance. Some may not welcome this harsh truth but it is America today.