Notices

Newbie Here/BP-Alkie

Old 11-19-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Here/BP-Alkie

Hi

I need to quit drinking. Been needing to for a long time.

Changed meds. Two months ago started lithium when i went into the hospital for 3 days bc of suicidal thoughts and drinking. Went to my psych a couple weeks later and he wanted to take me off everything and put me on Latuda. I started that but have been afraid to stop everything else. Have gone down in dosage on others. i have bp type 2, no other disorders but a lot of past trauma and current grief. So right now it's Latuda 40 mg per nite. Seroquel XR 50 mg per nite (this needs to be further reduced bc of possible side effect when combined with Latuda), 75 mg effexor xr in am, (will reduce further very gradually), and lithium xr 300 mg.

Some days I drink 1-2, some days I drink 10. I've tried AA in my area quite a lot. But I'm an agnostic, and it's discouraging to constantly hear about God, Jesus, and praying as the only path to recovery. Believe me, in the bible belt they do not mean it when they say that any higher power is fine. The attitude is more that the real recovery will only begin once there is belief and trust in the Christian God. I'm NOT anti christian or anti god, but I can't force myself to believe something I don't. So I don't feel I fit in. Not to mention the issues of BP are not really understood my a lot in the groups I've attended. Being in the bible belt there are no meetings for any alternative recovery groups, I've looked repeatedly.

I'm trying to start private therapy. Waiting for a phone call. No insurance or money for further treatment. Have also just inquired about an intensive outpatient program that does not charge.

Open to ideas. Today the only way I could think of to stay sober was to hand my keys to my (ex actually) husband before he left for work. Basically jailing myself in my house. Obviously that's not a permanent solution.

Latuda is one of my last hopes for a med that may work for me. Pretty sure it would work a lot better if I stay off the alcohol. Question-has anyone drank with Latuda? Any specific effects?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a very supportive place.

I have no experience with Latuda so can't tell you anything there. As for AA, there are other recovery programs you can look into.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I'm glad you joined the family.