prozac

Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

prozac

So today i went to the dr to have my BP pills refilled and she put me on prozac. I am not sure about this.... I fought her tooth and nail. I told her I did not want to become dependent on a pill. For obvious reasons I no about addiction and dependency. But she claimed that I have been so stressed for so long that it "might give my brain a rest so it can recover" Anyone else in on this? I am still fighting taking a pill every day to be "ok"
Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You take blood pressure medication, don't you? Well, anti-depressants are similar in that provide what our body does not take care of naturally. I've been on Prozac for about 3 years now and it keeps me from going insane.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
I think you have to see how you feel on it before you can make a judgement call.

Keep in mind that psychiatric meds, whether they are mood stablizers or anti-depressants, aren't meant to "make things all better". They're meant to help us cope when our brain chemistry goes awry and we feel low.

So, give it a shot and monitor how you're sleeping, whether you're sedated in the morning, your appetite, and things like that. And if you have too many side effects and/or it's not working, then tell your doctor.

ZoSo
Old 11-18-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ok, thanks guys.
your right. I would love to sleep like a normal person.... but i don't want to be on "meds" for any extended period of time... I just am paranoid I guess cuz of the whole addiction thing...
Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

your BP is not managed with normal measures right now....out of control BP can be life threatening. work on getting your BP under control NOW and meanwhile work on more natural methods to keep it under control.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

anvilhead. My BP is good. Actually it is lower than when I left in april... lost 50 lbs since I left him and am actually getting activity... most of the time... when the couch (depression) doesn't calll... just needed refills is what got convo started... I am thinking and talked with dr about trying to reduce BP meds. She said BP was perfect... But depression scores are high....I didn't mean to go into there to talk about depression... I guess I was just in a place where anything sets me off... crying.... uugghhh....
Old 11-19-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can only put in my experience. I take prozac. I went to the doctor because I was feeling like a mess and had anxiety through the roof. Prozac is not nearly as addictive as many of the other drugs out there. It has helped me. It took me a while to regulate to it but it is begining to really help. And for me...I will take some help right now. It is a matter of staying sane during this time and has helped me carry out the behavior I need to carry out around my kids and AH. It does not control me, but it certainly helps me stay level and that is what I was looking for.

Good Luck!