Notices

Chaired my first meeting

Old 11-18-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chaired my first meeting

I chaired my first meeting last night, a 12 Steps 12 Traditions meeting. We we're on Step 1. I spoke about an interesting technique regarding Bill W's story. As I have posted previously when I initially read the BB in August, I was unable to relate. Now all I see is me. Relating is one of the first steps in identifying ones self as an alcoholic and segues into step one for those working AA. Admitting a problem can be difficult at first.

As a group we discussed an excercise where someone can rewrite Bill W's story but instead of Bill write the story of them.

In other words I JDooner work on Wall Street and I had a crazy idea of due diligence that was unheard of so my wife and I went off with 1k in our pockets to the Bakkin in North Dakota to find E&P companies based on this new technique...blah blah blah.

You get the point. This does two things. One, for type one learning types writing it out will help comprehend the message. Second, it gets someone to relate their story to Bill's a steadfast alcoholic.

Anyhow, I read many posts on this newcomers forum about "am I am alcoholic or a problem drinker?" i too struggled with this see my first 20 or so posts. It's usually the struggle about "can I drink again." But getting someone to relate can often put things in perspective and start the process of recovery so I thought I would pass along what I think is a novel idea.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like a successful meeting.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actually one of the guys showed up and shared that he just had a few shots at the local bar. So yes it was successful whether we were able to get through to some that needed the help is another story.

It was an interesting (I think) take to help some relate, which allows some of the other gears to click.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad your meeting went well.