article on suboxone/buprenorphine

Old 11-17-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

article on suboxone/buprenorphine

Hello SR, Thought this article might be of interest to those of you who, like me, have had loved ones on suboxone/buprenorphine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/he...nace.html?_r=0
Old 11-17-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this link, jjj. The comments on the Times website following the article are as interesting and informative as the article is, about the dark side of suboxone treatment, the poor prognosis for opiate and opioid addicts trying an abstinence-and meetings-only approach, and the comments about the emotional disorders/pain of the addicts which, if not also helped, will likely lead again to some form of substance abuse.

I especially found interesting the debate about "giving more drugs to drug addicts" in the prescribing of suboxone, as the condition of addiction is an inability to control the compulsion to abuse mind-altering substances or behaviors. The question then is whether long-term use of suboxone pills is realistically viable, given an addict brain wired to go overboard with any medication.

A very good book by a recovering addict which speaks to this issue of giving drugs to drug addicts is "I Want My Life Back" by Steve Hamilton. He speaks of the compulsion of the addict to use anything, if it will alter the mood, and tells of two young girls on a rehab "field trip" trying to get a high from smoking moss they scraped off a wall.

He also describes cravings he experienced after being triggered by the alcohol in aftershave and alcohol in a stew served by a family member. His description of the physical craving is detailed.

And here I am about to throw a grenade into the forum, I guess, but have to say, that as a recovering codependent who attended a large Al-Anon meeting full of codependents as well as many recovering or barely-recovering addicts: putting newbie codependents in their mixed up and fragile state of mind into a room of addicts to whom they will potentially be drawn is something like the debate about treating drug addicts with drugs. Codependents can also relapse pretty quickly on their own kind of drug, too, when placed in a room of "wounded" addicts. I should know.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My son did fairly well on methadone for a while. The truth is that rehabs have very poor success rates. The dark side of treatment is that they will place 100% of the blame on the addict when they relapse. You just didn't want recovery bad enough is a popular line they use. They will suggest a repeat of the program or more 12 step meetings as the solution. Subuxone works because it helps heal a brain disorder. Addiction is a brain disorder. The reason it is not popular is because of the addicts behaviors. The stealing, lying, cheating and anti-social behaviors that goes along with it.