Notices

Gym

Old 11-16-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gym

Have seen many threads advocating the gym as a help - how much help is it?
Old 11-16-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A huge huge huge help for me....I was very underweight when I was drinking as I never ate...Almost a year later I'm up nearly 3 stone and due to smashing the gym 3 times maybe 4 times a week I can assure you it's not fat....The same will happen if you want to lose a few pounds too , either way the gym was and still is a massive part of my recovery.

Last edited by stevie88; 11-16-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-16-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me it's a HUGE help!! Exercise in general makes me feel at peace and gives me a big boost in energy. When I was drinking I was usually too sick to get to the gym.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

Exercise and a healthy diet are the keys for myself to not only sobriety, but life in general.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with the previous posts. I have always loved exercise- I felt it evened out my mood, helped me make healthier choices with food, increased my self-esteem, etc...

During my "drinking career" it was probably the only thing that helped me have lengthy sober periods of time... and at the very end of my drinking I was drinking so much that I could not care less about the gym because when I got home I'd be drunk within the hour and always told myself "I can work out tomorrow."

All that to say, exercise is helping me so much in my sobriety right now. Also, don't think that you have to get a gym membership to work out- I have lots of at home workouts that I do that work wonders!
Old 11-16-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I haven't been going for the last 6 weeks because of work and I just started up and I can tell that I haven't gone. I don't sleep as soundly, I get tense faster, I'm more tired. It helps soooo much.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm an Instructor in the gym & my ex is a recovering addict so I see him and other recovering addicts there all the time and they look happy & healthy.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Exercise is SUCH a help for me. Clears my head and calms me down.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Exercising is very helpful, but more than just the gym - aerobics and stretching are great too. I like the gym the most, personally, but had a really long, 10k walk a week ago, and that was great too. I gained weight while drinking, (stress eating) and love being thin, getting complements and fitting into my cool clothes. They say exercise helps release endorphines to replace some drugs, ut I only ever got "runner's high" that I noticed from really long, tough aerobic workouts. Lots of people recommend yoga in recovery.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Working out and eating clean are half of what keeps me sober along with a meeting or two a week. It's weird how many people get sober but eat like crap, smoke cigs and then wonder why they don't feel great.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I work out 4 to 6 times a week.

Going to the gym, swimming laps, ju jitsu.

It energizes, reduce stress levels, it helps produce happy-hormones (endorfine, dopamine), plus I feel good about myself when I have a fit-shaped body (self-esteem).
Old 11-17-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's a cornerstone of my recovery program. Massive physiological and psychological benefits which has been medically proven. Just google exercise and its benefits. There are tons of medical articles on it.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

I've been working out at the gym and watching what I eat for the past week. I find that I feel better and have more energy. I never worked out at a gym before I got sober. The most exercise I got was walking when I didn't have transportation. I have gained a lot of weight so I am trying to get in shape again. I feel better about myself since I've been working out. I think it's a good habit to have
Old 11-17-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I took up running when I gave up the booze. I was amazed every morning to wake up with a clear head, and running through the countryside connected me back to nature and made me feel grateful for my sobriety. 13 marathons later, I am still running..... I am not very good at it, but it sure beats sitting on the settee with a bottle in my hand.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm needing to get back to the gym and training. I've always maintained a workout schedule, mainly Jiu-Jitsu and Kick Boxing. I haven't been since the day that led me here, been barely eating, a lot of anxiety, and eating far to much candy. I've lost 20lbs in 22 days, and I wasn't overweight to start with. I look lean and healthy, still 210lbs so I'm still not a waif, but for my build if I loose any more weight, it would be unhealthy.
I'm gonna get back after my diet, and start working out again. I know it will help make me feel better.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think it helps a lot. For one, the endorphins help with the early sobriety mood swings. Also it's just a really positive thing, to be spending time literally improving yourself. It's a source of pride, and as you achieve goals and successes it's a source of increased self-confidence. And then you look better to other people, and they treat you better, so that makes you enjoy life more, and so you get a lot of positive momentum in a bunch of different areas that impact your quality of life.

Also it's just nice to have strength. No huffing and puffing on stairs. No "ow, my back!" when you go to tie your shoes. Grocery bags might as well be filled with feathers or shredded newspaper. Aches and pains I had for years have gone away.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think it helps me feel good about myself and gets the natural Endorphins going
Old 11-17-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I go to the gym n work out I especially love spinning as I feel when I'm sweating im doing it for my kids plus it's on n evening so keeps me away from alcohol. Can't get into my new gym though at the minute though I'm sure I'll kick it up a gear again after a few days sober