Notices

Overwhelming cravings.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Overwhelming cravings.

Hi all, I thought I should just share right now that I have been suffering all day with incessant overwhelming cravings and I fear I will relapse if they don't alleviate anytime soon.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have turned very reclusive again because of the increased social anxiety I suffer after drinking, I have social anxiety disorder and I only relapsed again on Wednesday. I know I need to stop drinking, I am in denial no more in regards me being an alcoholic but these damn cravings/thoughts/temptations are just so bloody persuasive and powerful, I feel like I am fighting a losing battle. I am 27 years of age and still live with my family and risk being asked to leave my sanctuary(Bedroom/house)
Old 11-16-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am very averse to conversing with other people but have tried so many things to stop on my own and they never work so I need to get this off my chest and share it. Thank you for listening.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope this act will lessen the cravings and I will find some mercy.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi! I had extreme anxiety and I drank and it made it WORSE! Have you thought about going to the doctor to address your mental health issues? That is what I had to do. I was treating my symptoms with alcohol and it didn't work anymore.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I find it definitely helps to put it out there when I'm having a rough day. You are still very early in recovery so these cravings are not unusual. It's good you recognize them so you can work to get past them and continue down the road of sobriety. It does get easier with time so don't think it will always be this hard. For now, check out this thread for some tip that may help you!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 11-16-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
Hi! I had extreme anxiety and I drank and it made it WORSE! Have you thought about going to the doctor to address your mental health issues? That is what I had to do. I was treating my symptoms with alcohol and it didn't work anymore.
Hi Elisabeth, I have cbt therapy that I use to help with my anxiety and it helps a lot but the problem is I am a serial relapser and every time I drink, I bring more anxiety into my life so I am stuck in a viscous circle. The anxiety won't go away until I can stay sober and I can't stay sober because I can't stop drinking and I can't stop drinking because my anxiety stops me getting the help I need(AA/After-care group from rehab) What a mess.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Call the AA number in your phone book and someone will meet/take you to a meeting. That is what they are there for and they are happy to do it.

I had fears about AA, but so does everyone. Once you get there, you are home. It won't be easy, but you will feel relief because there is help at AA.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
Call the AA number in your phone book and someone will meet/take you to a meeting. That is what they are there for and they are happy to do it.

I had fears about AA, but so does everyone. Once you get there, you are home. It won't be easy, but you will feel relief because there is help at AA.
The problem for me is the stress and anxiety I feel in AA meetings, feelings that just trigger me to want to drink.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What length are you willing to go to to stay sober? Unfortunately, it is probably going to be out of your comfort zone. I had to do something different to stay sober. I could not do it on my own.

I relapsed A LOT. Like for four years. Each time I would try unsuccessfully to drink alcohol and it never worked! Once I tasted it, I wanted more and could not control myself. There came a point where drinking made me so uncomfortable that I had to stop or I felt like I was going to die.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Robert777 View Post
The problem for me is the stress and anxiety I feel in AA meetings, feelings that just trigger me to want to drink.
Would you feel more comfortable at a very small stag meeting?
Some meetings are huge (I avoid those too) but others are very small. Maybe you could mention it when you call the AA helpline and ask the person about a small meeting.
I answer the phones at intergroup once a month and I can tell you that volunteers go out of their way to help. If there is a small men s meeting in your area, they will find it for you. They will also talk to you, that s what they are here for
At some point, you need to take action to break out of the vicious cycle. It takes gumption and courage to take that first step, it's like jumping of a cliff but look at it this way: what do you have to lose? You are miserable right now.
In the interim, I hope you will join us at the 24 hours club where we pledge not to drink or drug for the next 24 hours. It is a very supportive thread and before you know it, all those days will pile up
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4295269
Old 11-16-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Robert777 View Post
People who are willing and able to help cannot help someone who isn't there.

You've created a fatalistic, infinite loop of relapsing, high anxiety, and relapsing again...What you call your "vicious circle." It probably all feels like it is happening to you, and that you're helpless to do anything about it. This is the cutting edge for you, in therapy and in the rest of your life.

Beating yourself up over this pattern and ceding control of your life to a seemingly alien influence keeps you in despair. It's important you continue talking about these things.