Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Tips on staying in the now, and not dwelling on tomorrow or next week etc, worry

Notices

Tips on staying in the now, and not dwelling on tomorrow or next week etc, worry

Old 11-15-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I needs on how to make myself life in the moment and stop worrying about the past or panicking about future things that will never happen anyway. Help! 20 days today and it's the fear and anxiety getting me.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

let go of the things you can't control - people, places and things. one day at a time. 20 days is awesome!!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A quote I have always relied on is "Don't worry about tomorrow, God is already there." Melody Beattie is great reading when you are filled with anxiety. She has one inspirational writing that assures us that everything is exactly the way it is supposed to be. She ends it with this:

"Today, I will know that I don't have to worry about anything. If I do worry, I will do it with the understanding that I am choosing to worry, and it is not necessary."
Old 11-15-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Worry has a way of snowballing.

There are some really basic but good tips here on challenging those worries and negative thoughts we all have:

Catastrophising – Thinking your way to Disaster | Prowess 2.0 Women in Business

D
Old 11-15-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on 20 days that is awesome!

One day at a time. The only thing I am required to do today is to get thru today without taking a drink. That is it. I will worry about tomorrow when I wake up in the morning.

As for the past, I can't change that. However, I can change and improve myself so that I don't repeat it.

As for the future, I can't worry about what hasn't happened yet. I will deal with it when it comes.

Thinking this way didn't happen overnight for me. It takes time, but don't give up and know that the feelings you are having are normal at this stage.

This journey is not easy, especially in the beginning. But you can do this!