If you're thinking about maybe going to an AlAnon meeting

Old 11-15-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If you're thinking about maybe going to an AlAnon meeting

Before I ever posted here and even for a month after I did I would read as people suggested AlAnon meetings and wonder if I would ever have the courage to go and if it was even relevant to me and my life.

Right now I'm logging off to head out to my fourth meeting. I feel almost excited and as near to happy as I get these days. Even if it doesn't make you feel the way it makes me feel it might do something for you and you won't know if you don't try.
I surprised myself this morning when without really thinking about it I added AlAnon to my gratitude list.
It really really really really makes a difference.
When my son was little we would tease him because he would say he really really really really wanted or needed something. Well I really really really really want to work on my recovery and feel better and AlAnon really really really really helps.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by jessicajoe View Post
really really really really
really.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jessica...so happy to hear you are going and working on you and reaping the rewards from that!

Have a super weekend!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Heading to my 2nd meeting tomorrow,not sure how long I will go for,but will give it the recommended six meetings,and take it from there.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

As a current and frequent Secretary of a Newcomer's to Al-anon meeting I love your share; it does work. I don't know what type of wreck I'd be without the Al-anon Family Groups...but I'd be a wreck!

Old 11-15-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome Jessicajoe
Old 11-16-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How many people go to your Al anon meetings? There are only three of us at mine (same three in all the meetings in my county area) and they are all in their twilight years and have permanent relationships with their As. Makes me feel somewhat the odd one out - whining about a man who won't be in my life forever.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by shil2587 View Post
How many people go to your Al anon meetings? There are only three of us at mine (same three in all the meetings in my county area) and they are all in their twilight years and have permanent relationships with their As. Makes me feel somewhat the odd one out - whining about a man who won't be in my life forever.
Do not sweat that.

My VERY Best group is all "Long-Timers." To the point that probably now half have out-lived their A. That is the case for my sponsor, as well. 34 years for both him and his wife (AA for her, Alanon for him). His wife just died this last year.

THOSE meetings are like getting to sit down with a Committee of Senior Angels. One foot in Heaven, but still here to help you (and me). You are so lucky. Figure how bad it would suck to just a have a meeting of a bunch of No-Time Jackasses -- Like Me.

They know that Mrs. Hammer may or may not make it. Suppose the same for me in more honest humility, huh? But they all view as #1 thing is our kids. Same as I do. So they help me be a Better Dad, and make our household 50% better, just working on me.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jessica, I have been to three meetings, and plan to attend a fourth, fifth, and sixth, at least. It is so great to feel instantly welcomed and accepted by this small group of folks who seem so willing to help and support the newcomers. I feel lucky to have these new 'friends.'
Old 11-17-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

shil,

hi

the first alanon mtg i went to was people 40+years older than i was. i felt uncomfortable and stopped going. later on i attended mtgs with a wider age range of people and felt more at home.

i did notice than the older folks stayed married to their a spouses many of whom continued drinking. i always thought that was because our parents and grandparents generations had a harder time dealing with the taboo of divorce and alcoholism. also they were more financially dependent on the men ( not always but in my neck of the woods). today times have changed so in my opinion we are more accepting of the situation and there are more resources available to be able to leave an active a. that is after all the massive denial and other emotional trauma we go through.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The meeting I went to twice was very busy,two other people were newcomers on my first day,and two new members last week also,very busy meeting.also find that older generation stayed with Alcoholic in their life,younger ones split.I am fifty and have have split with two alcoholics.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you are unhappy with your meetings try other ones. Try Celebrate Recovery and see if you like that. Whatever you do, don't give up getting support for yourselves! Every recovering family needs support!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For those who live where there are not many options for meetings, remember that Alanon has telephone and online meetings too. Maybe not as good as in person, but if you live somewhere where you truly can't find a meeting where you feel at home (or can't find a meeting AT ALL!), those choices could possibly help you out, too.