Worried About the Wrong Things

Old 11-15-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Syd

Worried About the Wrong Things

My AH had some routine lab work done recently. He has been on blood pressure meds for a couple years now and his doc said it was time to get a fresh look at his blood work numbers. He knew it was coming and laid off the bottle for around 4 days prior.

His lab results are terrible. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc... Basically, everything that's supposed to be low is high and everything that's supposed to be high is low. His doc said that many of the typical heart attack indicators are present and alarming. She asked him if he was still drinking. His response? "Once a month or so." (Yeah, right.) She also said that his liver function isn't healthy enough for him to be put on cholesterol meds. So, she told him to start a strict low-fat diet.

The night after the test - before the results had come in - he celebrated his 4 days of no drinking with, of course, a rum festival that Captain Morgan himself would be impressed by. Once the results came back and his doc told him about the strict diet plan, he became uber health-conscious... but only about food. He has foregone cheese, beef, salad dressing, processed foods, fast food, etc... He really has gotten on board with the whole diet thing. "My diet is gonna kill me if I don't change it now." He seems truly worried that his lab results are what they are.

I'm proud of him. I know it's difficult to adjust your diet to the extent that he has. I can also see how making such modifications can make you want to reward yourself in other ways. But for someone who seems SOOOO worried about his recent lab results, you'd think he'd ditch the cigarettes and the rum. Right? I mean, I'm pretty sure smoking raises cholesterol. And if you can't be put on cholesterol meds because your liver function isn't healthy enough, it can't be good for you to keep drinking. Right? RIGHT?

I won't say anything, of course. But it baffles me. Perhaps it's my desire to have the occasional sausage biscuit that makes me think it'd be better to lay off the smokes and booze than to eat like a rabbit all the time. What is it about lab results that can make someone (specifically, an A) worry about the wrong things? It's right there in black and white. wtf?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Stoic

Great question. My AW was in the hospital for jaundice from a long binge about five years ago...medically detoxed...got sent home after some days..got the results from her final liver blood work that showed her liver was within normal levels again, and then proceeded to start another binge because "her health is just fine".

It's all about self-deluding, so that nothing gets in the way of drinking.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is not a rational condition. Trying to figure out why they make the choices they make, despite all of the negative consequences, can occupy your entire life and still get you absolutely nowhere!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry It's very frustrating.

My husband's approach is to ignore the problem. The first time he quit drinking it was because his liver enzymes were high. He quit drinking and had them monitored for a year. They came down some but were still high so he decided drinking wasn't the problem? Started drinking again and stopped going to the doctor.... He hasn't had a physical in years. If he doesn't go, they can't tell him that he's overweight, his cholesterol is high, his bp is borderline high, and his liver enzymes are high. This way, he doesn't have a problem
Old 11-15-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your post reminds of a couple I knew in college who started freebasing cocaine. The last time I saw them they gave me a long speech about how they would never use generic tinfoil for freebasing because it releases harmful toxins when heated. Only the name brand foil for them, because heaven forbid you inhale any "harmful toxins" while you're freebasing cocaine.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you ladyscribbler for my laugh out loud for the day. Nope, no harmful toxins in that freebase!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Syd

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Thank you ladyscribbler for my laugh out loud for the day. Nope, no harmful toxins in that freebase!
No kidding, Ruby2 - I was thinking the same thing.
Thanks for the laugh, ladyscribbler. I needed that. It's a perfect comparison.

And SparkleKitty, you're exactly right. This is not a rational condition. I keep trying to find a rational explanation for something directly from the rational black hole. Recipe for frustration, for sure!
Old 11-16-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, high blood pressure is likely due to drinking and not diet at all. My xAH had very high blood pressure but ate very little. Often alcoholics stop eating because a) it interferes with the high b) they get so many calories from alcohol c) they have sensitive stomachs due to the alcohol consumption. So don't mistake his restricted diet for a puritanical health kick alone!

My xAH chewed through an IV line in the hospital after having a seizure, hallucinations, massive headache and vomiting due to withdrawal, presumably so he could leave and get another drink. Numbers on a test are likely not going to stop the drinking. However, it does indicate to you that your AH is progressing into the later stages of alcoholism. At that point my AH also had numbness in his legs, vision problems, shakiness, along with unmanageable high blood pressure.

It's heartbreaking to be in your position. I was there once too. I place a big emphasis on health in my own life. I was a successful athlete in high school and college, ate organic home-cooked meals, rarely drank, took vitamins, etc., so I couldn't understand how my AH could be so cavalier about his health. It's just the delusional thinking of the disease. I agree with Sparklekitty, don't even try to understand it.

Peace to you,
B
Old 11-16-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh yes, and my xAH also lied to his doc about his drinking habits. It's unfortunate, because had your AH been truthful, his doc could have explained that the lab results weren't caused by a fatty diet but booze...
Old 11-16-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My AH won't take as much as a Motrin because he doesn't believe in taking drugs. Yet he is in pain a great deal of the time and has no problem numbing that pain with beer and wine.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My XAH now has: high blood pressure, an ulcer, permanent diarrhoea (he has a most delicate tummy you know...;, mental health problems - I know this because his co-morbidity doctor called here looking for him (debt collectors have also started calling here looking for him, I don't know why these people think they can find him here) and my kids told me recently that Dad has sleeping tablets.

It's obvious he is lying to his Dr about how much he drinks and what illegal drugs he uses. What kind of Dr would prescribe sleeping tablets to an out of control addict who has prior suicide attempts?
Old 11-16-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hmmm your thread has me thinking. I just went to the hospital for asthma, swore I was done smoking, bought the patches and an electric cigarette....

and now here I am on the back patio smoking and reading SR...