Notices

Off the wagon, back in the saddle

Old 11-14-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Off the wagon, back in the saddle

Hello,

Just a quick "hello" to all of the other newbies. I have really drank too much over the last couple of months and want to go back to my sober life. I haven't had more than 3 months sober, so far. I have been trying to quit since March. Each time, I got tired of being sober and decided to "moderate" with less-than-stellar results.

Thanks to everyone here for being supportive and an inspiration. Today is day one and a good day to stop.

-First
Old 11-14-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back 1stthingsfirst

Have you got a plan for when those thoughts of moderation occur?

D
Old 11-14-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is a good question, Dee. I think recognizing it as a craving, instead of a rational solution is important. I am so, so, so tired of having a drinking problem. I am so done with it. I cannot carry on like this again. The temptation of "moderation" is what gets me every time. I tried tapering over the last two weeks, an unsuccessful attempt to moderate is really what it amounted to. I have to go cold turkey. There is no other solution.

Thoughts of moderation just need to be recognized as old-fashioned cravings, I suppose.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi First! I pretty much did the same thing. Got bored with being sober and tried to moderate. As you know, that was a mistake. Hopefully, we can both stay on our sober journey this time!
Old 11-14-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It took me many years for that penny to drop. Good luck!! xxxx
Old 11-14-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! You're right, today is a good day to stop drinking.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! I went down that same road for years with less than stellar results each time. The last time before I finally decided I just could not drink was the worst. I was drinking every day and I finally decided enough was enough!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by 1stthingsfirst View Post
That is a good question, Dee. I think recognizing it as a craving, instead of a rational solution is important. I am so, so, so tired of having a drinking problem. I am so done with it. I cannot carry on like this again. The temptation of "moderation" is what gets me every time. I tried tapering over the last two weeks, an unsuccessful attempt to moderate is really what it amounted to. I have to go cold turkey. There is no other solution.

Thoughts of moderation just need to be recognized as old-fashioned cravings, I suppose.
Not sure you answered Dee's question or if you did I don't understand but I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer
Old 11-14-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I suppose what I meant is that the act of changing my point of view about moderating - that it is not a tool or a solution - but instead is a strong craving, the beast trying to get its way.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

After periods of abusing alcohol - our bodies will actually psychically change. New neuro-pathways are created. It's like when you learn a behavior (like how to swim) this creates neurons for recall. Per my addiction/psychiatrist - we can never "unlearn" how to swim, or unlearn how to drink/drug. Former addicts/alcoholics have actually CHANGED their bodies - we cant "unlearn" our reaction from alcohol It's just something you will have reconcile. welcome back.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I suppose what I meant is that the act of changing my point of view about moderating - that it is not a tool or a solution - but instead is a strong craving, the beast trying to get its way.
It is not even possible! Moderation is NOT an option. You cannot have just one. No matter how innocent it sounds. It is not worth it. You have tried many, many times in the past. It always result in a negative downward spiral.

To date, I have never met someone who had a "positive" relapse...
Old 11-15-2013, 02:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't understand why anyone would want to moderate or am I missing something! What is the point? I drank because I like the feeling it gave me and I wouldn't get that with one or two drinks. When someone says moderate I always get an image of a child with a box full of chocolates,their parents standing over them and saying you can have one or two but then you must stop. It's easier not to bother. Best of luck and keep posting
Old 11-15-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Okay, something is missing here. I think I said the opposite. My point is that I do not want or plan to moderate. My point was that I have learned that making deals to "moderate" is just a good old-fashion craving to get wasted. As someone said earlier, the "pennies have dropped."

Here is where I am upset. Why not try to sort the a possible miscommunication? Why jump all over me? Even if I did indeed wanted to "moderate," wouldn't gentle coaxing and kind advice do a better job than exclamation-laden responses such as the ones above? I would like to remind everyone that people who are detoxing during their first sober hours are sensitive in general; they come here for support and guidance, not insensitive criticism.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pretty sure all of us have made plenty of "deals" to moderate, switch to another kind of AH, not drink on certain days, etc, etc. before coming to the conclusion quitting all together was the only reasonable option. Glad you're here, and ready to stop drinking, and stop making new "deals".
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know I tried everything before I was ready to stop for good. I tried to moderate, tried switching my alcohol choices, marked the bottles, and anything else you can think of.

I had to get to where you are now 1stthingsfirst! Good for you! I'm so happy you came back and are ready to commit to sobriety. It took me quite a while to find my way. I couldn't be happier with my choice.