Notices

I've Just made a decision

Old 11-14-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've Just made a decision

I just wanted to make a post to make some kind of public statement that I'd like to draw a line in the sand to turn my life around. I have abused alcohol most of my adult life and am a functioning alcoholic. It has caused repeated marital problems and I've finally come to a point where I'd like to make a change. I have made very half hearted attempts in the past to change but my heart wasn't in it.

I am not the alcoholic that drinks until vomiting or that has trouble with the law but the guy that drinks prior to going to parties and sneaks it without his wife knowing. Or I come back from running errands smelling like alcohol. It has progressively gotten worse where I get off work waiting for that drink. I find myself planning activities where I know alcohol will be available.

I'm embarassed and ashamed and my wife has had about all she can take. I'm looking to save a marriage, a family, and my life. I'm sure my wife will be supportive but in reality will be very leary given my attempts in the past. In my mind there is a difference this time but from her perspective I'm sure it will just be another time.

Thanks in advance for your support. Any tips for the first few days/weeks would be appreciative. Changing diet or routine or what else to drink etc.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome…my best advice would be to get a sponsor. You have made the decision there is going to be the physical withdrawal in the first week and dealing with the physical then the emotional and mental withdrawal, which I think it much more difficult. Having someone who has gone through this will help. I am not push AA but that is the easiest place to find a sponsor.

I suggest picking up a copy of AA's the Big Book whether you choose to get involved in AA or not. There is helpful advice and see what you relate with in the book. The first step is figuring out if you are an alcoholic truly and then making a plan based on who you are and how you want to stay sober.

Congrats on taking the first step to improve your life.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've made a smart decision to stop drinking before something awful happens. I only wish I'd quit sooner.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Blitz. I was highly functional as well. My advice is to talk to your doctor. Tell him/her what your drink (beer or booze) and how much/often and how long. Your Dr can help you decide if you can stop drinking with meds and vitamins alone or if you need more supervision. I had the latter and am on my 8th day w/o a drink. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome blitzblitz

I think finding support is important - you'll find that here of course. I recommend the November thread - it's for everyone quitting this month:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2013-a-14.html

For face to face support, there's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

Changes are important too - look at your life. What changes can you make to help your recovery?

D
Old 11-14-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

That's awesome, BlitzBlitz (the guy who's so nice they named him twice?) about your decision, your line in the sand. Your story is just like mine, wife at the end of her rope, more and more alcohol being consumed, waiting for work to end so the drinking can start, etc. All same same.

I made the same decision, the same vow, over two years ago and I have never looked back. I have made similar decisions before, like over toxic romantic relationships, so I used the same mindset. I am never doing that again, no matter what. And thank God that is over, because now I am free.

You have seen recommendations for AA, and you will see more of them, so let me offer an alternative should that not be possible for you. Look at Rational Recovery and AVRT. There is lots of information about it in the Secular Connections forum as Dee has suggested.

My advice for you now in these early days is to be gentle with yourself. You need someone to be kind and helpful, congratulatory and so on, but also to be firm with you, and there is nobody better suited to do this than you yourself. Try to make this as easy as possible for you to succeed. Read all you can about alcoholism, different recovery ideas, addiction and so forth. Set your expectations low for now and get lots of rest, take fluids and B vitamins and expect that your emotions are going to be jangly for a while until your brain chemicals become reestablished. There will be insomnia, and your digestive system will be out of whack too, so small healthy meals will help.

Believe in yourself, BlitzBlitz, that you can do this, and that you deserve a life without addiction, and keep posting here. Onward!
Old 11-14-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Blitz We are so glad to have you with us.

This community meant everything to me when I was desperately trying to quit. Everyone understood what I was going through and supported me as I found the courage to change my life. You can do it!
Old 11-14-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Blitz, welcome. Reading your post, I found quite a few similarities in our drinking behaviours. I've always known I was in trouble with alcohol, admitting it to myself was never a problem, I've been concerned about it for a long time but things went up a notch when I really decided to quit and couldn't do it. My husband doesn't know the extent of my drinking but I'll lay it out here for you... Bottle of wine and a couple of beers almost every night. Waking up at 3am in a state of panic because I'd done it again even though I told myself I wouldn't. Sneaking drinks before parties. Sometimes I'd drink a whole bottle of wine before a party and my husband and I would have a conversation and he wouldn't even know I'd been drinking. then he'd refer to a part of the conversation we'd had the next day and I wouldn't remember any of it. As I said, I realised the seriousness of my problem when I tried my best to quit on my own and couldn't do it. In the end I surrendered and went to AA and I am so glad I did. In AA I've found and understanding and a hope I didn't know existed. I highly recommend going to a meeting, just give it a try, it may save your life. Good luck.