Notices

Negativity can be contagious sometimes..

Old 11-14-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Negativity can be contagious sometimes..

I've been feelin' all sorts of screwed up since my NA meeting last night where I saw one of my good friends.

I love her to death but It's like every time I see her at this meeting all she talks about is how much she hates NA and hates feeling incapacitated and dependent on some program for the rest of her life..

I feel like some of her negativity rubbed off on me because I was feeling pretty hopeful and optimistic yesterday until I heard that and then I started having thoughts like "Well maybe NA isn't for me" and thinking of ways to disqualify myself from recovery and how maybe I should just "use now and get it over with".. I know it was probably just my AV talking to me but I've honestly felt like complete **** since last night.

Please help shed some positive vibes on my day today. ):
Old 11-14-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For sure we are influenced by the attitudes of those around us.

Surround yourself with positivity. Being clean and in control is the way to go!

"I'm taking my life back" do this!!! Stay positive! Lots of support here. Best wishes
Old 11-14-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jakec you've been on SR for as long as I can remember, you are such a young kid don't throw your life away. Screw her thinking its her way of justifying her own desires to use. I know you want this becsuse you keep coming back! Didn't you just go through a horrific jail experience?

Take a good hour and go read all your old threads. Just might open your eyes! It's time to stop talking about getting clean and start doing it. I'm coming at you like a mom and not a judgmental one! You need to buckle down and stop the nonscene! Now while you have basically the world in front of you!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Negative people can really tax your energy... seek out positive people that will add to your positive sobriety. If someone hits you with a negative thought, try imparting something positive back, if they are always negative, avoid them.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I believe the single greatest bit of wisdom I can offer people in recovery is to stick with the winners. Find people that are happy with himself and their recovery and have long-term sobriety. then do what they do

Negativity breeds negativity success breeds success. The person you spoke about is toxic to you and to your recovery
Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You will find negative people everywhere you go in life Jake. NA meetings, your workplace, churches, the grocery story, etc. You are absolutely correct in realizing that it's merely your AV once again trying to come up with an excuse to use. It's not NA's fault, it's not your friends fault, it's your resposibility to realize your addiction talking and stop it. Perhaps seeking another meeting might help if the people at the current one cannot be avoided.

Either way, coming here to work through this was a good choice, someone is always here. Best of luck!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

It's the difference between fighting your recovery versus cooperating with it. We often go back and forth in early sobriety. We blow it up and make it something like global warfare, the fate of all humanity hanging in the balance. Which side would you rather be on?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Perhaps she can be something of a poster girl for what you don't want in your own recovery. Were there other members who shared and carried a positive message? I know it's somehow easier to focus on the negatives, to find "loopholes" that your addiction wants you to believe exist.

I heard an AA member share a while back that she essentially hates the fellowship of AA, was very verbally aggressive, doesn't need "us", has her own friends, etc. Real beacon of negativity and at the end of the day-whilst a bit stunned initially-felt compassion toward her. 12 years sober, and while it's her journey, where she was personally, she was one of the most miserable people i've ever come across, either inside our outside the rooms. Stick with the winners and people who have what you want!

Xx
Old 11-14-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you have your own opinion Jake - deep down you know whats best for you.
Listen to that...

D
Old 11-14-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Negative people suck. It is as simple as that!!!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We have many people in recovery and
out that cross our paths on a daily bases.
I open my ears and mind to listen to others
share their own experiences, strengths
and hopes of whats going on in their
own lives. I then take what I hear that
I like and can benefit from it and leave
the rest.

Im responsible for my own recovery
and sobriety and will go to any lengths
to protect it including distancing myself
from loved ones if necessary. And, in
my case, I have, sad to say. But.....
like I said, my recovery is mine and